• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal Glandular, Ashwaghanda, Butcher's Broom, Rhodiola, Horse Chestnut and POTS

Plum

I see you're in the UK too - did you manage to get the saliva test done on the NHS? I've read about it in Dr Wilson's book (just about to re-read it) and it sounded like the sort of thing the NHS might not recognise.

The NHS don't recognise saliva testing. I've had this conversation with several Endocrinologists. I had my test done through Genova. £110. I feel it was worth it.

Thanks - I'll take a look at that.

I've been on more or less Dr Wilson's plan for this but want to go through the book again and make sure I'm doing it right - I'll check out Dr Lam too.
I think Dr. Wilson has some short comings. He's too heavily supplement based. If you have ANY digestive issues, then usually supplements aren't going to be absorbed. Hence why diet and gut function have to come first.

Thanks - I'll listen to some while I'm resting!

Beats me - I fit the CCC and clearly don't have Addison's (an exclusionary diagnosis) so I'm probably ME with adrenal fatigue, if I've got it. But I suspect I do, even if the bloods are negative - I respond so poorly to conflict (it pole-axes me and takes me at least 24 hours to get over the physical effects) that I think that's got to be an adrenal issue. Fortunately, I lead a pretty much zero-conflict life!
Blood testing is only looking for disease - IF you tested with a problem in your bloods then Addison's or Cushings. Saliva is looking for the cortisol you have available right now for use. It's worth looking into the functional testing side of things as it catches issues before you have a disease.

I feel it's best to find an alternative practitioner to work with to get testing done and then work on stuff yourself. Nobody understands yr body like you do :)

Thanks for your help, Plum! If I can tackle even one aspect of my ME and get even a few percentage points increase in function, it would be great. :)

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Plum - thanks for this. I've been wondering if I ought to find an alternative practioner for this. First things first, though - I'll see how my blood results are interpreted.

Interesting about the supplements. I don't think I have gut issues so maybe I'll be OK with that.

I was just looking at Dr Lam's site and he warns against adaptogens - I guess I should start with the more straightforward (diet) stuff.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Ashwaganda/withania i find calming and i use it at night to help sleep. I think its a substance that helps calm down the fight/flight response and encourages recovery. I think this is how it helps treat fatigue issues, not directly stimulating but by improving the bodies ability to recover. I also find the supplement relora works the same way.

I think dr lam is cautious with many treatments as people can treat symptomatically and get some relief but continue to push themselves, also some stimulating adaptogens arent helpful when adrenal fatigue is at a certain level as its like whipping a dead horse. I think we can get trapped into uppers and downers with lots of crashes. I think with cfs/me we cant avoid some crashes anyway and sometimes we need something to jump start us. I suppose its a balance.