• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal Fatigue treatment. Incorrect?

aquaster

Keep moving forward...
Hi Roddy,

I have recovered from a severe case of of Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome (AFS). All my insomnia, cortisol, sugar craving / hypoglycemia, racing anxiety type symptoms went away and have stayed back. It took me at least 1.5 years of hard work.

All the the supplements you are prescribed can be useful for adrenal fatigue syndrome. All of them, used at different times, helped me.

I followed Dr. Lam's protocol which is first to titrate up dose Vitamin C and B5 (pantethine & panththeonic acid) and help support the adrenal glands' hormone production with those. Once a degree of stability has been achieved... then I added herbs and hormones. Herbs like licorice and ashwaghana... while can be helpful... can be 'addictive' and cause crashes if you take them away. Not to say you shouldn't use them, but breaks (5 days on, 2 days off) can be helpful.

HC is extremely addictive. It will probably give you help quickly, but it may be difficult or excruciating to ever get off. It is not considered a 'first line' treatment in all but the most severe, debilitating cases of adrenal dysfunction.

I would recommend Dr. Lam's book on Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome if you want more detail info on the topics I discussed. It is a little bit complex and was very difficult for me to read when I had severe AFS and brain fog, but somehow I got through it and survived.

Hello! I'm so happy to hear that your adrenal fatigue improved! I have tried different things for my AF (I have significantly low cortisol all day) but nothing had really helped. I took HC for a while but had side effects. Weaning off was a nightmare and I don't want to go on again but I'm afraid I might have to quit work. Have been taking Adrenal Cortex for over a year, and yeah, I'm dependent on it. Can you tell me more about Dr. Lam's protocol? Are there instructions in the book (I've just ordered it)!

Chriswolf

All licorice ever did for me is raise my blood pressure to prevent POTS-type symptoms.

Pregnenolone did help, however I did have to "build up" to experiencing the benefits, and I did experience a small amount of weight gain, so I would often cycle on and off of it.

I would imagine if you needed or could benefit from pregnenolone, you would have done so within at least two weeks of taking it. If you weren't I would almost suspect that you have some problem making use of precursors to begin with.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Hello! I'm so happy to hear that your adrenal fatigue improved! I have tried different things for my AF (I have significantly low cortisol all day) but nothing had really helped. I took HC for a while but had side effects. Weaning off was a nightmare and I don't want to go on again but I'm afraid I might have to quit work. Have been taking Adrenal Cortex for over a year, and yeah, I'm dependent on it. Can you tell me more about Dr. Lam's protocol? Are there instructions in the book (I've just ordered it)!

There is a lot of detailed information in the book but not "instructions" or exact doses. I will say that taking Vitamin C and B5 was most helpful to me. The book will provide you with hundreds of pages of very high quality suggestion, many that worked to help heal me!