• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal cortex extract: nourishing or a stimulant?

Hi

Just wondering can anyone tell me if taking adrenal cortex extract serves to nourish and balance the adrenals or does it make them work harder by stimulating them which ultimately can't be a good thing.

Feeling depleted and like my blood sugar is all over the place from sibo/candida treatment protocols and finding it very hard to get out of bed. I figured my adrenals could probably do with some support. I already take b5/pantethine a few times a week.

Thanks

drob31

I think it may help replace what you need, but maybe get the adrenal cortex as it doesn't contain epinephrine which may be over simulatory. I would also look into an active B formulation. Have you tried nystatin for candida yet?

ahmo

Adrenal glandular worked great for me for a couple years. I had used licorice for a year or so, eventually it became over-stimulating. I tried cortef, no good. Adrenal glandular appeared to be able to supplement me directly, without needing any extra processing. Happily, after a couple years things shifted and I no longer need it. This is the one I used.
http://au.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-ADRENergize-Energy-50-Capsules/2121

Thanks @drob31 @ahmo
The product i ordered is 50mg Bovine adrenal cortex extract from seeking health.
@drob31 I have a prescription for nystatin but haven't taken it yet. I am finding the die off difficult enough to deal with already from the other products I am taking (microbinate, prescript assist & betaine HCL).
Hopefully the adrenal cortex might help with the die off too...

@ahmo agree 100%. I'm a big believer and use them regularly along with saunas. I do feel however I need to be careful that I don't deplete myself too much by using these therapies. Probably more of an issue with the sauna than the CE. I make sure to keep the coffee low down so it does not interfere with electrolytes or the micro biome

drob31

@paul_k do you have any bloodwork that shows high candida levels?

I'm just curious because my Candida IgA is always elevated ref:1-9 mine: 20

@drob31 i don't have blood work showing candida but I have a CDSA showing it and my salivary secretory iga was >1000 where the top of normal range is about 470