• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acyclovir

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this AV? I've been prescribed it alongside weekly B12 shots (as I'm B12 deficient), and I've been on the acyclovir (400mg x3 daily) now for around three weeks. I'm feeling a lot worse BUT I was feeling worse before I started it so it's very hard to tell whether it's the AV's making my symptoms worse or whether it's just a coincidence as I had a bad case of flu & tonsillitis in January, ontop of a lot of stress lately (breaking up with my long term bf). If these don't do anything what would be the next best AV to try? My consultant is aware I'm XMRV+ but obviously I am not going on ARV's so I'm trying AV's at the mo..
Any help or advice would be great as I don't think it's doing much to be honest...

Thanks

Bec

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
valtrex is a similar drug to acyclovir. Valtrex is converted to acyclovir in the body and actually has a longer half life and alot easier to increase blood levels of the drug then by taking acyclovir itself. So valtrex is better value for money and more convenient as u can dose once a day and maybe twice, as u have found out acyclovir is used in 3 and sometimes more multiple doses to try and maintain a good blood level of the drug in the system. If its for possible ebv reactivation i would ask to change to valtrex at a minimum of 500mg twice a day, if other herpes viruses are invovled ask for famvir. If u do a search on valtrex and famvir here u will find alot of info from many of us that have used it. If your hoping av's will help with xmrv, they probably wont work, but they can help with viral reactivation of ebv caused by xmrv and can maybe help u feel abit better. Look into immune modulators like immunovir and cycloferon which could help your immune system to fight most things, but in the end u may have to look into arv's, just read up alot on them for now so u can make an informed desicion when the time comes.

http://www.pharmplexdirect.com/imunovir-tablets-500mg-p-3669.html used in doses of 6 tabs a day- 2tabs 3 times a day.but google up on its use.
cheers!!!

Hi,

I've been on Acyclovir and Valtrex. I felt grim on Acyclovir; tired, dizzy, nauseous, headaches .... Tried it a few times and had the same reaction everytime unless I took tiny (probably innefective) doses.
I've previously taken Valtrex (for shingles) and found it excellent, and am about to start on it again after Ive completed a week of IV antivirals. The only thing I felt on valtrex was a slight nauseous/ upset stomach, but really not bad and bearable. Hope it's as good when I retry it in a week!

Your flare story is like mine .... Stress (bf split), a bad virus .... now the antiviral trail!

Hang in there & hope you feel better soon.