• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acute spinal injury promotes immunodeficiency and infections

mermaid

This is newly published. Anyone else in an auto accident prior to ME/CFS diagnosis?

This says that acute spinal injury can impact the adrenals and immune system increasing infections.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nn.4643.html?foxtrotcallback=true
No, but I just fell downstairs on Sunday pm and landed on my back on the edge of a stair (luckily well carpeted). Despite having osteoporosis, I seem to have had a lucky escape though, and been checked out and no damage other than bruising and severe muscle pain in the area of my middle back.

Sorry - to derail the post but I thought of it when I saw the title. Just resting up and hopefully avoiding the issues spelt out here!

Learner1

No, but I just fell downstairs on Sunday pm and landed on my back on the edge of a stair (luckily well carpeted). Despite having osteoporosis, I seem to have had a lucky escape though, and been checked out and no damage other than bruising and severe muscle pain in the area of my middle back.

Sorry - to derail the post but I thought of it when I saw the title. Just resting up and hopefully avoiding the issues spelt out here!
No worries! Hope you feel better soon!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Oh dear - hope you recover quickly.

mermaid

Thank you @MeSci I am quite hopeful that recovery is happening as it was better today than yesterday. I am sure it will take a while though but it's pretty amazing that I didn't fracture anyway (or land on my head). I hope you are doing better than when we last spoke which may have been a year ago!