• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acupuncture worse than sham acupuncture for CFS

peggy-sue
I was not as severely frightened of them as you were... That must feel awful .
At my first blood test, at age 15, I paniced so much that they had to call in the doctor to do it. The next one gave me less anxiety, then over the years I just got used to them gradually.
I have only fainted twice from anxiety from them, so I always ask if I can lie down during blood draws. They seem to go easier then.

peggy-sue

The problem with fainting is they won't stick the needle in you when you're down - the sadists wait until you're conscious again.:devil:

But fainting isn't my problem. Blind, hysterical panic is. Fight and flight both get activated.:p

Meanwhile, I shall simply continue to avoid any injections.:thumbsup:

penny

Interesting study. I'm glad they tried to do a trial at least but as usual no objective outcomes.
One thing I do wonder about re: CFS and acupuncture -- since people are forced to lay still for a time in a quiet room while getting it --i.e. enforced rest -- maybe that has to do with why they feel better and not the needles. How about a "just rest" control group?

I got pretty regular acupuncture + massage for a while. I had some general improvement at the same time, but I was also doing a LOT of other things, and never really felt any confidence in whether the acupuncture was helping or not. But oddly the laying and resting during it was the most difficult part for me, my muscles were so sore and crampy that lying there perfectly still (because movement = needle pain) in a position partially dictated by the placement of the needles was excruciating. I suffered through it for a while (stupid) till I finally spoke up and negotiated with my practitioner for a max 15 minute stew time. That was hard enough, but I could do it. So while I was "resting" it wasn't really restful...

taniaaust1

My daughter had "laser accupuncture" when young (something those who fear needles can think about if they would like to have accupuncture without these). I took her to have that done out of desperation after 17-19 surgeries (risky surgery, down her throat, needing full aneathestia) she had failed to fix an issue she had with an out of control virus (HPA which her body wasnt fighting itself) giving her growths which threatened to block her airways and were also on her vocal cords.

One lazer accupuncture treatment boosted her immune system to the point that FINALLY after years of surgery (and doctors were expecting her issue to go on for years more) and growths, her immune system put the virus into check. It was a miracle.

I havent tried accupuncture myself thou for ME as I havent heard enough people say anything postive about it for this.