Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Active HHV-6 Infection of Cerebellar Purkinje Cells in Mood Disorders

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by xcell, Sep 16, 2018 at 4:16 AM.

1. xcell

xcell

Active HHV-6 Infection of Cerebellar Purkinje Cells in Mood Disorders

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2018.01955/full

CJB, Judee, Jackb23 and 3 others like this.
  2. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

East Coast USA
    Dharam Ablashi has studied HHV-6 in ME/CFS for decades; nice to see this impressive international collaboration researching HHV-6 in tissue from UK collections.

Anthony Komaroff is mentioned at the end of the paper as having reviewed and commented on it.

A section on co-infections mentions Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

"Other studies have also demonstrated co-operation between the Chlamydia family of bacteria and several HHVs; with co-infection implicated in chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis (Munger et al., 2003; Nicolson et al., 2003). "

One conclusion: Gene expression studies suggest "immune response to infection" may contribute to disease pathophysiology.

@xcell, thanks for posting this interesting study. Many new insights from this work.

There's a 2010 Ablashi/Komaroff "free" review article covering HHV-6 in CNS diseases including ME/CFS:
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4758195

See more popular forum discussions.