August 8th, 2018: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe ME
Have you heard of our Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance? Please join Jody Smith in observing this day and honoring the 25% of those with ME/CFS who are most severely ill.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Active HHV-6 Infection of Cerebellar Purkinje Cells in Mood Disorders

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by xcell, Sep 16, 2018.

1. xcell

xcell Always looking for new knowledge and options!

Germany
    Active HHV-6 Infection of Cerebellar Purkinje Cells in Mood Disorders

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2018.01955/full

Moof, CJB, Judee and 4 others like this.
  2. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

East Coast USA
    Dharam Ablashi has studied HHV-6 in ME/CFS for decades; nice to see this impressive international collaboration researching HHV-6 in tissue from UK collections.

Anthony Komaroff is mentioned at the end of the paper as having reviewed and commented on it.

A section on co-infections mentions Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

"Other studies have also demonstrated co-operation between the Chlamydia family of bacteria and several HHVs; with co-infection implicated in chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis (Munger et al., 2003; Nicolson et al., 2003). "

One conclusion: Gene expression studies suggest "immune response to infection" may contribute to disease pathophysiology.

@xcell, thanks for posting this interesting study. Many new insights from this work.

There's a 2010 Ablashi/Komaroff "free" review article covering HHV-6 in CNS diseases including ME/CFS:
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4758195

Moof and xcell like this.
  3. xcell

xcell Always looking for new knowledge and options!

Germany
  4. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Senior Member

SW UK
    It's strange you should mention this @xcell
    For a while I have been wondering about a possible link (for myself) with Varicella Zoster. The one reason I kind of discounted it was because I had no rash -whereas the two times before when I have had Shingles (2000 and 2001) I got a rash each time, though no post-herpetic pain to follow.
    But the more I thought about it the more I started to wonder about that so-called "dormant" VZ as some of my symptoms were ever so slightly similar to when I had shingles. I am now wondering if a constant nagging pain over my eye isn't some form of post-herpetic pain...
    My instinct was always telling me some kind of chronic brain inflammation
    I don't know, in my case for sure though.
    But I did find this too:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19520522

See more popular forum discussions.