• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Activated Charcoal Made Me Worse

I'm not sure what's going on with me, I'm getting tested for Lyme, have very high IgG for EBV and Erhlichia, low CD57 35. I believe I have mercury toxicity and maybe mold sensitivities as well.

A week ago I started Flax seed oil and holy shit I felt AMAZING. I had energy, I could think, my body didn't feel ill. Then two hours later I decided "cool! time to detox! everyone recommends activated charcoal so here goes!"

Well within an hour I began having dull aches in my stomach that then started to move to the rest of my abdomen. The next day I had sharp pains in my stomach and duodenum and crampy, dull aches that are sometimes sharp in my lower and mid abdomen.

I went to a regular physician who didn't think much of it (go figure) but told me to take Prilosec which has helped me with my stomach pains before (I'm H. pylori negative so I think I just overproduce HCl). This helped with the sharp, stabbing pain in my stomach and duodenum but I'm still have terrible aches and cramps everywhere else.

I took the amount recommended on the label (I'll have to double check to see what that is). The only thing I could find is potential GI bleeding or a blockage. The doctor said he doesn't think I have either because I don't see any blood in my stool, I'm still passing stool and my abdomen felt normal when he checked it.

Any thoughts on this? Could the Charcoal have stirred something up? Because I have had these pains before, I just don't know what caused them and what made them go away. Could it have irritated my GI tract?

Any recommendations?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Any recommendations?
If I take activated charcoal I take it in the middle of the night so that it won't interfere with other meds, supplements. Taking it when there are other things in the digestive tract could cause problems. My opinion any way!

Sushi

Dufresne

almost there...
Taking activated charcoal or any of my other binders while not restricting carbs absolutely wipes me out. If I reduce carbs below about 50g/day the mobilized toxins don't cause any discernible problems on their way out. In my case I believe the cascade goes as follows: carb-lectin-leptin-inflammation-fatigue. For others the outcome might include pain too.

This is in line with Shoemaker's work.

rosie26

I had pain exactly as you described twice last week, not nice. I have had them before and it is always something like coconut or corn that gives me that kind of pain. This time it was coconut. I am fine now but that dull pain and the stabbing in different places as you described is breathtakingly painful. Thankfully, 2 Panadol settled it each time. I also had not been eating much (I get distracted and I forget to eat) and so I think the coconut just irritated me too much.

I hope your pain is settled now and you are able to work out what was possibly causing it.