• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Action alert: Brian Vastag's appeal to the NIH is in the Washington Post - HELP BOOST IT!

searcher

Those comments are weird and remarkably short-sighted. Are the commenters attacking Michael J Fox for advocating for Parkinson's Disease to be consistent? They probably were the people criticizing AIDS patients in the 1980s for fighting for recognition and research.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
A lovely comment just now (which I am 'liking')

I can relate to your disease as my father died from the complications of MS. Your plea for NIH to devote funds for research of your disease would probably produce a drop in the bucket compared to the various efforts currently underway as you so thoroughly described. Keep up the faith.​

Sasha

Fine, thank you
BTW, remember that older comments will sink to the bottom. We want good comments at the top so keep up the supply!

leela

Three browsers and none of them will load comments :(
ETA: Ad blocker needed to be turned off, sharing in case this happens to others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
And I must say, this is the first time I have seen an ME article and comment section with NO mention of psychosomatic or character defect finger pointing.

Thanks to @viggster for leading the way in not creating and perpetuating false illness beliefs in the readers' minds.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks for writing it, Brian! Just a fantastic letter.

Thanks very much to everyone who has commented so far - everyone has done a superb job. Very civil, rational, calm discussion (on our side, at any rate - which is what counts!). :thumbsup:

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
I'm liking, but can't think of anything to say that hasn't been said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with reiterating things that have already been said, especially since the comments by default are sorted by "most recent".

Also, not many links up there as we all thought you couldn't link initially.
Eg - Could link to charities, OMF, OMI, the IOM report, Stanford ME/CFS, - whatever you think is a good source of info about ME

halcyon

Some interesting comments in there. Particularly the ones asking (rhetorically mostly) why ME deserves more funding vs. other diseases. I think the severity and debility of this illness is still very much not clear to the average person.