• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acidic vits - protect your teeth - here's how

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Dannybex started a thread on how Jarrow's methylB12 contains citric acid, which attacks the teeth. So does ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

I asked a dentist friend how we should therefore protect our teeth. She gave these suggestions:

• Don't brush your teeth straight after acidic things.
  • Brush your teeth before eating acidic vitamins using a high-fluoride toothpaste such as Duraphat 2800 or 5000 (prescription only from your dentist in the UK at least). Sensodyne claim that their Pronamel toothpaste is also protective.
  • Or, use a high-fluoride mouthwash before the acidic vits.
  • Tooth mousse, which you can get from your dentist, contains recaldent which is full of minerals and restores your tooth enamel - rub it onto your teeth with your finger straight after the acidic vits.
  • Rather than chewing Vitamin C tablets, use soluble Vitamin C and drink it through a straw.
  • Eat a piece of cheese after the acidic vits.

:D:D:D:D:D

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, all good ideas, Sasha. I do not take vitamins like that, chewable.. But I do drink water with lime or lemon in it. I use a straw and do not brush right after. Sensodyne is very good. I like toothpaste without the sulfates also. Enamel is so important to keep strong!

taniaaust1

When one has MCS one can be unusually sensitive to fluoride. It is toxic.

It isnt just the teeth one should think about with acidic vitamins but also the stomach too as these can end up giving on tummy issues. It is recommended to eat a Tblespoon of yogurt (if you dont have milk issues) before taking acidic vitamins, that helps protect the stomach.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
When one has MCS one can be unusually sensitive to fluoride. It is toxic.

It isnt just the teeth one should think about with acidic vitamins but also the stomach too as these can end up giving on tummy issues. It is recommended to eat a Tblespoon of yogurt (if you dont have milk issues) before taking acidic vitamins, that helps protect the stomach.

Thanks, tania - I have been getting a bit of an acid tummy lately with some of the stuff I have been taking. I don't know if there would be an issue with the calcium in the yoghurt affecting absorption of some things (I can't remember what calcium is supposed to interfere with) but maybe a tbsp is such a small amount it wouldn't matter.