• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

accessing pension funds(in uk)

ruben

hi there, I live in the uk and am a 57 year old male.I have worked with this condition for many years and have a pension pot. Things aren't getting any easier.Now because it seems that almost any treatment we try we have to pay for, just how much of our pension funds can we get our hands on. Does anyone know for example, could you access your entire pension fund so you could pay off a mortgage, thereby cutting your monthly outgoings. If this were possible I could then at least have more options open to me.I know in my case that acupuncture helps, but I can't afford things like this indefinately.thanks in advance and look forward to any advice

currer

I dont know anything about pensions, reuben, but I wouldn't spend more than you can afford to loose in looking for a cure.
people have been known to bankrupt themselves payng for one treatment after another, and if there were a valid cure I can assure you we would all know about it. You would not need to seek one out.

Esther12

I dont know anything about pensions, reuben, but I wouldn't spend more than you can afford to loose in looking for a cure.
people have been known to bankrupt themselves payng for one treatment after another, and if there were a valid cure I can assure you we would all know about it. You would not need to seek one out.

I completely agree.

Very sorry to hear about your troubles ruben, and I totally understand the feeling of being desperate to get better and willing to try anything... but it's probably not sensible to risk your future financial stability in order to pay for unproven treatments. I wish I could be more helpful.

ukxmrv

Where is your pension pot invested Ruben? Is it through a company pension scheme or private investments.

In Australia you can apply for an early release of superanuation on medical grounds but I am not aware of any UK equivilant

ruben

Where is your pension pot invested Ruben? Is it through a company pension scheme or private investments.

In Australia you can apply for an early release of superanuation on medical grounds but I am not aware of any UK equivilant
hi again and thanks for messages. I'm not thinking of spending money here, there and everywhere, but as I said in my first post I certainly know that acupuncture can make life much better. My money is invested in a company pension scheme..

ukxmrv

Ruben, I was able to get acupuncture through the Homeopathic Hospital in London. There may be a clinic close to you that offers acupuncture on the NHS?

ruben

Ruben, I was able to get acupuncture through the Homeopathic Hospital in London. There may be a clinic close to you that offers acupuncture on the NHS?
hi again, I live in suffolk and have been told that in this area acupuncture is not available on the NHS. Apparently though you can get it in some areas near to me, but an occupational therapist told me a couple of weeks ago that you must actually live in those areas. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who knew of ways around this. thanks