• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abstract: Does CFS Have a neurological origin?

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
As it was only AUS$4 plus tax, I bought it. It's a one page summary of the study @jimells linked to, rather than a general review.

There really isn't anything new to add other than that Barnden speculated that the damage to the midbrain is caused by microglial activation and that the damage itself may be irreversible even if the inflammation can be controlled.

alex3619

To the question of neurological origin, there is very little doubt, and its growing smaller year by year, of neurological involvement. However causation is still elusive, its still all theory, though the evidence for various theories keeps accumulating. I have some minor issues with the abstract, like CFS has a clear cut start. Classically defined ME does.

People love pushing their pet theories. However immune, metabolic, neurological and pathogenic theories all have their place until we sort out the actual cause/s. I still think CFS will fracture into many diseases, and ME will fracture into two.

Sing

Dr. Jay A. Goldstein regarded this illness as neurological and wrote extensively about it--in the language of neurology. But there is a patient's guide too which is moderately translated. Don't ask me to convey what was said as it is above my level. If anyone can read it and translate this for us, that might be very helpful.