• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abnormal Chromogranin-A results?

Ocean

Anyone else have this test and get abnormal results? How high were your levels? Mine was only a little above the normal range.

Do you know if this test, when not so high as to indicate a tumor, indicates anything about CFS? The only thing I could find on that was this passage, which from what I could understand has something to do with Celiac disease?
http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/chromogranin.html

Ocean

Yes it was blood, just a regular lab, probably Labcorp. There is some info online about the test but I only found the one article tying it to CFS. I may have to redo it also as you are supposed to test when you are having symptoms I think, which I wasn't able to do.

bjl218

Old post, but I was wondering what the outcome of this test was. My CgA just came back somewhat high. We’re redoing the test because I was taking Zantac, Amitriptyline, and biotin prior to doing this test

Ema

Old post, but I was wondering what the outcome of this test was. My CgA just came back somewhat high. We’re redoing the test because I was taking Zantac, Amitriptyline, and biotin prior to doing this test
It’s a marker fo MCAS and other inflammatory conditions but you are right to redo it because H2 blockers like Zantac can cause false positives.

http://www.mastattack.org/2017/02/chromogranin-a/

bjl218

So it looks like this was a false alarm. I re-did this test after being off of all meds and supplements for a week. My CgA went from 180 to 105 via Quest. Their reference range is 25-140 ng/mL.

Looking back, I was also eating a fairly high histamine diet (lots of oysters and yogurt).

Lots of contradictory information on the Web about this, but from what I've been able to gather, staying off those meds and supplements and sticking to a low-histamine diet would probably have lowered my CgA even more.

Phew!