• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abnormal changes during Tilt Table Test in ME/CFS patients are NOT related to deconditioning

Lisa108

This study was posted today on the German 'ME -Pacing mit Pulsuhr'-Facebook page:

The Abnormal Cardiac Index and Stroke Volume Index Changes During a Normal Tilt Table Test in ME/CFS Patients Compared to Healthy Volunteers, are Not Related to Deconditioning

C.(Linda) M.C. van Campen,Frans C. Visser*

Department of Cardiology,Stichting Cardiozorg, Planetenweg, Netherlands

Free access link here, just click through the buttons 'Abstract', 'Article', 'Figures', 'Tables', 'References', and 'Suggested Citation'.

It seems as if this will be published in the 'Journal of Thrombosis and Circulation'.

Hufsamor

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp...-MECFS-not-due-to-deconditioning-23.11.18.pdf

Linda van Campen and Frans Visser from the Netherlands have just published a study that examined stroke volume and cardiac output in ME/CFS. It confirmed earlier findings from a smaller study that changes occurred in these two key cardiac measures despite normal tilt-table results (Timmers et al., 2002).

Both studies found reduced cardiac output and stroke volumes during a tilt table test in ME/CFS patients compared to healthy controls. However, these patients had normal tilt table results, meaning their heart rate and blood pressure did not change significantly enough to be diagnosed with orthostatic intolerance.

The authors of the earlier study suggested that these findings were due to deconditioning, but in this new, larger study, Van Campen and Visser showed they were not as they found no difference in results between different disease severities