• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

abcessed tooth-make sense to get blood test for general inflammation?

xrayspex

I just found out that I have a failed root canal, and there is an abcess/infection in there and recommend redoing it. I think its been like that maybe since had it done but at least the last 11 months, it was done about 14-15 mo.s ago. Long story but I wasnt sure for awhile what was going on since have chronic pain and dentist was sort of giving run around. just grateful its diagnosed now and know why killer headaches after eat hard food sometimes.

So my question is what general test at mainstream medicine might make sense if any would to see if it could have caused inflammation in my body systemically? i called my doc to ask if sed, ana or c-reactive protein etc might make sense, told them I would like to get all of them, maybe full cbc or wbc or whatver its called and at first they said naw there is no inflammation test for dental stuff just deal with yr dental, and I said hey I am having systemic stuff at times increased, ie some glands hurt or swollen feeling so they said I could do a sed rate, probably just to appease me. I have no idea if thats the best one out of the general easily available options. I did get dx with sjogrens last year and have gained 20# inexplicably in last year so I really wonder if this tooth infection could have altered my usual cfs issue.

Do any of you know if the sed is good enough for this situation or do you think there really isnt any benefit to get any systemic test for inflammation or infection with a dental situation? I assumed it could make sense but I am not a science major and my doc is supposed to be cfs-friendly so I didnt really understand why they tried to initially dissuade me. any thoughts or experience appreciated.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have had the C reactive test. Everyone should have it. If I had the infected tooth, I would get on the medicine to heal the infection, get it all fixed and maybe later get the test. Most important thing is to get it all taken care of so you can heal.

xrayspex

thanks sally, i guess that makes sense, cus if dealing with dental brings infection down problem solved. sort of haha. or at least one fire put out. part of reason I wanted to see whats going on with my body pre-treatment is because this last year has been such a bear for me, and I dont know why my doc didnt run those inflammation tests in the last year, he did check for sjogrens when i askd, but he said i had the ana and sed and c-reactive etc like in 2oo5 or something....I'm thinking,huh, ya only need those every 10 years or what? things are different now. how often should one get the c-reactive do you know?