• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Trip Down Memory Lane: Paper on HTLV II-like RV in ME 1991

Countrygirl

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC51352/pdf/pnas01057-0319.pdf

A trip down memory lane for some of us, but it may be new to most.

The paper that describes the claimed discovery of HTLV II-like retrovirus in ME by Dr Elaine Defreitas.

Was this ever debunked and does anyone know how she is now following her car accident?

Did Drs Cheney and Bell ever follow it up or did they eventually decide it was not worth investigating further?

Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 88, pp. 2922-2926, April 1991 Medical Sciences Retroviral sequences related to human T-lymphotropic virus type II in patients with chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome (Epstein-Barr virus syndrome/infectious mononucleosis/myalgic encephalomyelitis/polymerase chain reaction/in situ hybridization) ELAINE DEFREITAS*, BRENDAN HILLIARD, PAUL R. CHENEYt, DAVID S. BELLS, EDWARD KIGGUNDU, DIANE SANKEY, ZOFIA WROBLEWSKA, MARIA PALLADINO, JOHN P. WOODWARD§, AND HILARY KOPROWSKI

The Wistar Institute, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 Contributed by Hilary Koprowski, November 13, 1990

ABSTRACT Chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS) is a recently recognized illness characterized by debilitating fatigue as well as immunological and neurological abnormalities [Straus, S. E. (1988) J. Inf. Dis. 157, 405412]. Once thought to be caused by Epstein-Barr virus, it is now thought to have a different but unknown etiology. We evaluated 30 adult and pediatric CFIDS patients from six eastern states for the presence of human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV) types I and II by Western immunoblotting, polymerase chain reaction, and in situ hybridization of blood samples. The majority of patients were positive for HTLV antibodies by Western blotting and for HTLV-II gag sequences by polymerase chain reaction and in situ hybridization. Twenty nonexposure healthy controls were negative in all assays. These data support an association between an HTLV-ll-like virus and CFIDS