• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Town Designed for ME/CFS Would Have...

CCC

Hey CCC I was trying to research this a few years back but got sidetracked.....have you noted any desirable,affordable retirement centers or towns/cities with areas of intentional communities like this?
Sorry to disappoint.

We're in Australia, and accessibility is a legal requirement in many places here, e.g. newly built retirement villages/centres. It would be relatively easy to find out with a phone call and asking about discrimination and disability access.

It's becoming a thing in urban renewal projects. In Australia, you tend to see it when a local council decides to 'upgrade' its main street. This usually involves blocking off a few blocks from traffic, making everything flat, putting in trees, benches and pavers, and creating disabled parking around the edges. The local library can often get some treatment around the same time. It's always one-off, and never systematic. Sometimes I suspect it's in response to legal action under anti-discrimination legislation.

Local councils need only about 5000-10000 people to be an entity - so the size of a small country town. (Numbers might have changed with council amalgamations in the past decade - but this gives non-Aussies an idea of the scale.)

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thought of another one. Houses designed for home delivery. Perhaps instead of a letter box, have a wider slot in the side of the house with a conveyor belt to take the food or whatever directly to a convenient place for unloading inside the home, You could put the fridge\freezer at the end of the run?
This reminded me a book about apartments in Seattle 1900-1939 called Shared Walls. This feature for accepting home delivery of groceries, called a service closet, was available since home grocery delivery was common. It was also used for trash removal. A search brought up these examples:
"package closets"
https://books.google.com/books?id=PAcjaDUOBhcC&q=delivery#v=snippet&q="service closet"&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=epk3AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq="service closet" apartments&source=bl&ots=JFOlDOTlTC&sig=2z6WNCZRF5ybcEBGD_EYaGju6f4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwily478j7TTAhXoslQKHUa6C70Q6AEIODAD#v=onepage&q="service closet" apartments&f=false

Last edited:

Skycloud

There's some good ideas here.

I would add that it would be lovely to live in an environment where it's ok to talk brain fog nonsense! Also I want a (quiet) jet pack or anti-gravity belt.

That would do me until there's a cure/effective treatment.