• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A small personal investigation in Pyroluria

PeterPositive

Hi,
last year I tested my urine KPL/HPL levels as I found moderate help from supplementing high dose zinc and B6. I also knew that one cause of elevated HPL is leaky gut, which is an issue for me.

The test came back positive, with mildly elevated KPL = 19.4 (range < 15) and HPL = 387 (range 15-250)

After 3 months of supplementing zinc (40mg) and B6 (50mg) I tested serum zinc / copper and found elevated zinc values, suggesting that the additional zinc was too much.
This also seemed to imply that I wasn't particularly "leaking" zinc... as one would expect with elevated HPL to bind the zinc and flush it in the urine.

The only problem with the blood test was that I did not stop the supplements a few days before, so it didn't show how fast zinc got depleted.

Now I've redone the test by stopping the zinc supplement 4 days earlier and lo and behold my serum level is below range even by taking 35-40mg every day (besides the 4 days pause).

It seems a small pause is enough to drain it from the blood. The intracellular value instead was still in range though.

Serum Zn = 0.7mg/l (range 0.8 - 1.4)
Whole blood Zn = 4.8 (range 5.4 - 6.5)
Intracellular Zn = 11 (range 10.5 - 13.7)
Zn/Cu = 14.6 (range 9-16)

I also checked B6 / P5P which resulted very high, so I am cutting it down.

Moral of the story... mildly elevated KPL/HPL seem to indeed affect zinc levels. If the test is run without stopping the supplement values are high, but they drop very fast with only a few days of abstinence.

I don't know if can generalize from my situation, but I hope this can help people with similar issues.

For me this was helpful to understand how effective is the current Zinc dosage, if it's really necessary or if I am overdoing it (which isn't the case), and how to proceed for the long term.

If anything is unclear let me know
cheers