• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Scientist Catches a Mosquito-Borne Virus and Gives It to Wife as STD

ixchelkali

The headlines may be sensationalized, but it's still and interesting report. It's simply a case study, and a fairly well documented one. It doesn't say that the disease was sexually transmitted, however it does postulate that that's one likely explanation of the facts of the case. Case studies aren't offered at proof, they're more a way of saying "Hey, this is something that happened and should be investigated." Especially since it also offers a possible explanation of the epidemiology of the outbreak on Yap.

With the spread of West Nile Virus, it would be good to know if flaviviruses can be spread outside of their mosquito vectors.

I thought Dr Racaniello's comparison to the WPI study was a bit gratuitous. I suppose he was looking for a case where the press reports outstripped the science, but it gets old being everyone's favorite target. There are gobs of other examples, many of them more egregious, why not pick on them for a change? It becomes a less-than-subtle way of discrediting the original study, like a whisper campaign.