• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A possibility for some

Hi everyone

My name is Anne and I contracted M.E/CFS about 18 years ago when I was 40 years old. I had several really bad years where I was unable to do very much, but I slowly improved over time to be able to work part-time and at least from the outside to look fairly normal. It was a constant struggle however to manage the disease, and to live with such limited energy. I had many crashes.

As I became older, I seemed to struggle even more and last year crashed badly for about five months. I had seen many health practitioners over the years but nothing had really helped. Just by chance I went to see a local acupuncturist/Chinese Medical Doctor in May this year feeling it might give me a little boost, at least temporarily. The doctor, a young Western woman, asked me many questions about my life at the time of the onset of the illness. When I told her I had had a number of vaccinations (Cholera, Typhoid etc) in a very short space of time before a trip to India (during an extremely stressful period in my life), she became very interested. She said it was possible I still had Lingering Pathogens in my body from the vaccinations and that my exhausted immune system had been trying to fight them off (unsuccessfully) all these years. This had tipped my body over the edge, and resulted in M.E. She said that Lingering Pathogens were not a widely known issue in medicine Eastern or Western, but that she could help me. I was sceptical, but had nothing to lose.
I saw her for four or five acupuncture sessions and took Chinese herbs for a week or so. She told me this was all the treatment I would need and sent me on my way.

My health improved immediately, and I was able to start work again. I actually had energy. It was tremendously exciting. Of course, I soon overdid it - as I write this I have just had two days in bed. In bed, but not unwell in that dreadful M.E way, but simply exhausted. And although not in robust health, I have not had any M.E symptoms since my treatment in May (six months ago). I feel as if I have been given a huge gift and I am sharing my story in case there are others like me in similar circumstances. Not all Acupuncturists will be familiar with this issue. Here is a Medical Textbook reference if they need more information: But I implore anyone who thinks they may have been affected in this kind of way to seek help. I can hardly believe that I have been given a second chance. My best wishes and improving health to you all.

The Clinical Handbook of Internal Medicine Vol III chapter Lingering Pathogens
by Will Maclean and Jane Lyttleton. Pangolin Press 2010
Chinabooks.com

ukxmrv

How nice of you to post and let us know.

It's strange how one thing may work for one person but not for many or a significant amount.

When I was first ill with ME (and it was an acute viral onset out of the blue) I also went to see a chinese medical person. We did acupuncture and herbs. Sadly made no difference at all - except that it used up what little energy I had and was expensive. Sounded like a similar approach to what you described.

I've spent nearly 30 years looking for "lingering pathogens" in many different ways. Had many tests and taken what treatments I can afford. Many people with ME are doing the same. We test for different viri and bacteria etc and then keep trying different drugs, supplements or complimentary treatments. I tried chinise medicine again in the 90's and accupunture as well. Still not positive change to my health.

You were very lucky that this worked. Wish I could find something that would work. I hope that your improvement is permanent because I've heard from other patients who have had a remission and then slowly or quickly deteriorated again.

Good luck for the future.

Jenny

Welcome Annesweet!

I sent you a pm yesterday asking for details of your acupuncturist. TCM has helped me in the past.

Jenny

taniaaust1

Thanks for sharing. As I'd never heard of this "lingering pathogen" I thought it was very interesting (thou I didnt get ME right after vaccinations).

ruben

hello Anne I 'm Robin from suffolk, England and very interested in your post. I too would love to know just where your acupuncturist is based. I also sent you a pm at the weekend and would be very grateful for this info. many thanks, Robin