• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A pharmacist's guide on ME

Countrygirl

While AFME is promoting CBT and GET to GPs and using patient funds to finance it, I understand, they have, at least, produced a good document for pharmacists on ME. There are flaws, but on the whole it seems a useful booklet. Somehow it doesn't exactly jive with their all-things PACE stance and their flirting with the devil ;):whistle:

https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/pdfs/mecfs-guide-for-pharmacy-teams.pdf

What is M.E.?

Although the aetiology of M.E. is unknown, emerging evidence about the cause of M.E. includes autoimmune deficiencies, viral infections, autonomic nervous system dysfunction and genetic factors, among others. Evidence suggests a population prevalence of at least 0.2–0.4% which means that a general practice with 10,000 patients is likely to have up to 40 patients with M.E.1 They might be difficult to identify from their prescriptions because there is no specific treatment that is licensed for M.E. At present, there is only symptom management available, so you might see chronic pain, sleep, migraine, nausea, dizziness or depression treatments, among others, on prescriptions. M.E. patients often have multimorbidity2 so even if they are not taking prescribed medication for their M.E. symptoms, you may still come across them. It is important to know how M.E. may affect the safe and effective use of medicines and the services you provide. As a long-term, fluctuating condition, M.E. is categorised as a disability by the Equality Act 2010.3

Symptoms

There are many symptoms of M.E. affecting many body systems, listed in the Symptoms and management quick reference table on p 12. Not all patients will experience all of these symptoms all of the time. Any new symptoms should always be checked, even if they may seem related to M.E. (see Red flags for referral on p 6.) For recent research findings relating to the multi-system nature of the illness and its symptoms, please see the Pathophysiology quick reference table on p 11. Symptoms can fluctuate and women with M.E. often find that symptoms worsen at different times in their menstrual cycle. If a patient appears better or worse at a given moment, this does not indicate a change in their overall condition. The characteristic symptom of M.E. which differentiates the illness from fatigue experienced in other conditions is post-exertional malaise, sometimes referred to as “payback.”4 This is defined as the body’s inability to recover after expending even small amounts of energy on simple physical or mental activity.1 The onset of post-exertional malaise is delayed for at least 24 hours, with slow recovery over several days. Some patients also experience widespread muscle and neuropathic pain, along with worsening of their other symptoms, as part of post-exertional malaise. The fatigue experienced by people with M.E. is very different from ordinary tiredness or sleepiness. Simple physical and mental activities can leave patients struggling to function, and pushing through this can trigger post-exertional malaise. For this reason, the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence’s guideline for M.E. (NICE CG53, see p 6) stresses that M.E. patients need to space out their activities and may find that their capacity is typically greater at a specific time of day.

Severity and function levels NICE CG53 describes three levels of severity of M.E.:1 • People with mild M.E. are mobile, can care for themselves and can do light domestic tasks but with difficulty. Most are still working or in education, but to do this they have probably stopped all leisure and social pursuits. • People with moderate M.E. have reduced mobility and are restricted in all activities of daily living, although they may have peaks and troughs in their level of symptoms and ability to do activities some of the time. • People with severe M.E. are unable to do any activity for themselves, or can only carry out minimal daily tasks (such as face washing, cleaning teeth). They have severe cognitive difficulties and depend on a wheelchair for mobility. Complications can develop in severe M.E. as a result of being mostly bedbound, such as postural hypotension, deep venous thrombosis, osteoporosis, pressure sores and deconditioning.1

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Well it doesn't conflict with PACE and it is helpful so it can act as a smokescreen drawing the unwary in. It's gateway info. They need it to get access to people so they can continue to have influence for promoting PACE CBT/GET.

Unwary: Oh look, some useful info from AfME that might help my ME.

AfME: Now let us introduce you to PACE.

AfME need to be isolated as not fit for purpose as advocates for people with ME. AfME's continued affiliation with Esther Crawley is poison to people with ME.

Countrygirl

I have to concur.

I have a meeting about a pharmacy and ME this week and if this document wasn't from AfME, I would refer them to it.

But it is, so I won't.

Very sadly, I agree. They can churn out some half-decent literature, but it is a bit of a honey trap. How can you trust an organisation that spends patients' money on spreading the gospels of Esther and White to GPs thereby perpetuating the disgraceful harm that is inflicted upon people with this appalling illness? It is almost as though EC has some stranglehold on this organisation.

Seven7

Seven
Here is my question: How can they be so organized to have presentations to Doctors, Pharmacist guide.... We just need to write an strategy and counterpart each move. Combat misinformation with good info.
Also, can there be something done from the real CFS organization like a cease and desist letter for designating false information???