• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

a hip replacement needed ?

Binkie4

Hi @Johnskip I have had 3 ankle surgeries within 12 months. It was hard physically but quite doable. What you need to take into account is the rehab period will not be fun. It will be like doing graded exercise therapy day after day. Your ME body will not like that. For me, it's the toughest part.

The anesthesia went well, other than my nerve blocks would not take and for each of the surgeries I had to go under, and it was better for me that way because I did not need to worry about what the surgeons were saying. It was not comfortable awake because they had to put a huge tourniquet on my leg and I could feel that. Since the surgery was an hour or 2, I was quite glad to be put to sleep, and wake up when it's all over (I was not frozen where they did the incision, so I had to go for general anesthesia)

If you have significant amount o fpain from your hip and you are suchat a young age you may well benefit from a new hip in the long term

Sending best wishes.

@Kati
Hi Kati

Can I ask you how you are now doing after your ankle surgeries? I'm thinking about effects of anaesthesia. There are lots of posts on this thread where people have not done too well after anaesthesia including me.

I am hoping for some positive stories because I have to have very major surgery in the not too distant future. To a small extent it's elective but it is significantly life shortening if I don't have it so not a great deal of choice really. Having 3 surgeries in 12 months would seem a good test of anaesthesia effects.

Hope you are well anyway.

Binkie4

@Johnskip

Glad to hear that your surgery is over and the hip is doing well.

With regard to anaesthesia effects, it is very early days so I hope sincerely that your energy soon recovers so that you can make good use of your new hip. Best wishes.

Johnskip

just want to get you guys opinion I have cfs no doubt experiencing pem often and having all the 2500 symptoms that come along with it still hard headed still trying to exercise and keep myself in a little shape it's the only way for me but my question is I needed a new hip at 37 years old after it wore out I was playing excessive amounts of basketball even after this like 11 years through the pain and obviously still need a new one surprisingly I had 5 xrays and it did not get that much worse except I'm tired of dealing with it now and I think it got worse because of my sedentary lifestyle now compared to my high prior level of activity would you get a hip replacement?
hi guys another update on my hip replacement surgery I 100 percent regret ever getting it done my hip pain is more tolerable but I am having low blood pressure episodes and feel so drained it's horrendous I worked so so so hard to a baseline that I can get through life with now it's gone

Hi fellow CFS spoonies! I’ve had CFS for about 11 years, have done every treatment out there (and I live in L.A., so there’s everything), and stiillllll have CFS. And now I have a new hip too! I had struggled with rheumatoid arthritis pain for ages, and finally the x-rays showed the bone knob looked more like a gnarled tree, growing off in all directions. So, surgery time. I ALREADY had hypotension and was pretty much housebound. I needed a wheelchair both for hip pain and weakness/exhaustion. But it was painful to sit, lay, stand, anything, and I felt I really had to do the surgery. I insisted on the frontal approach and discussed CFS-approved anaesthetics with the Dr.s, who were all accommodating.

It’s been 4 weeks now, and the first 3 were pretty bad. 2 weeks in I had an allergic reaction (my first anaphylactic one) maybe to the pain meds, which is fine, I didn’t need them anymore, but scary as I was in the E.R. twice, and I don’t think that helped my recovery any. I’ve mostly been chill and patient with it all, I knew my recovery would be slower than most. The great news is that my hip feels so much better. There is very very little pain, even from the incision. The brain fog/depression/lack of motivation from the first few weeks is lifting. For me, Midodrine (to raise blood pressure) and Bystolic (beta blocker for my racing heartbeat) help a lot, and I was iffy taking them post surgery then stopped after the allergic reaction for a bit. So I credit them for some of my better days, as well as maybe general healing. I’m trying to eat healthy, but am off ALL my kajillion supplements, as they make u stop all that before surgery and I just haven’t restarted. I do monitor my b.p. and h.r. and both are about the same level of f’ed up as before surgery.

Some surprises: numbness of a muscle or 2 still recovering and maybe a nerve? (Feels like my skin is swollen/frozen a bit on that foot & lower leg). My sense of taste was broken, that’s coming back slowly, which turns out to be an anaesthesia side effect. It’s much more taxing than anticipated on my family (2 teens at home, mom visits nearly daily) - even tho I can walk to the kitchen once or twice a day it’s hard to carry food with a walker, I still end up asking them to bring me stuff fairly often, and obviously getting the mail, housework etc is out still. My mom had wanted me to live in a recovery place for a couple weeks after surgery and I was adamant that I wanted to be home, but in retrospect it might have been better. I was so blah and weak I just slept and killed time on my tablet anyways, and someone would have been feeding me and getting my meds in me. (I was in the hospital 2 nights post-surgery).

So that’s my story. I’m sharing it because I wished there was more here when I was debating surgery. Overall, I think maybe I’ve lost a little (like 5%) energy/functioning, but it’s worth it to be free of the nearly constant pain.