• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A high-fat diet is associated with endotoxemia originating from the gut

Learner1

After taking high quality probiotics with high levels of bifido and lacto for a year, my stool test came up with virtually none.

My doctor's comment was "Hmmm... They have nothing to stick to, and suggested taking guar gum." I'm taking Thorne's Fibermend product and hoping for the best. I eat a high fiber diet with lots of non starchy vegetables.

ljimbo423

After taking high quality probiotics with high levels of bifido and lacto for a year, my stool test came up with virtually none.

My doctor's comment was "Hmmm... They have nothing to stick to, and suggested taking guar gum." I'm taking Thorne's Fibermend product and hoping for the best. I eat a high fiber diet with lots of non starchy vegetables.

It's my understanding that supplement probiotics don't become permanent residents of the GI tract but they do help while they're in there. If that's true, it seems like the only way to boost one's good flora, is by good prebiotics. I definitely plan on doing that, but I think I'm going to wait until my health improves some more.

I'm really interested in how you do on the guar gum. I know of one study that was done with Rifaximin alone or Rifaximin and guar gum. The Rifaximin and guar gum group did much better at getting rid of their SIBO. So if you haven't guessed yet, I have conflicted feeling about prebiotics.:)

Learner1

It's my understanding that supplement probiotics don't become permanent residents of the GI tract but they do help while they're in there. If that's true, it seems like the only way to boost one's good flora, is by good prebiotics. I definitely plan on doing that, but I think I'm going to wait until my health improves some more.

I'm really interested in how you do on the guar gum. I know of one study that was done with Rifaximin alone or Rifaximin and guar gum. The Rifaximin and guar gum group did much better at getting rid of their SIBO. So if you haven't guessed yet, I have conflicted feeling about prebiotics.:)
My family is celiac and we've done a lot of gut repairing and microbiome rebalancing over the past 10 years. Our experience has been that after removing allergens, treating parasites, and feeding the gut, that rotating high quality probiotics like Xymogen, HLC/Pharmax, PrescripbAssist, Dr. Ohhiras, etc. has normalized our microbiomes.

Unfortunately, chemotherapy blasted mine 2.5 years ago, and I recovered from that then 6 months ago I was on azithromycin/rifampin for cpn treatment and its been a battle.

I had diarrhea even on my standby, Xymogen 100 billion ProbioMax, did better on the HLC human strain, but still had no lacto and bifido, and still abnormal stools.

Adding the FibroMend immediately helped. I became constipated, then switched back to ProbioMax. Stools are more normal and much better, and my doctor wants me switching to PrescriptAssist soon.

I'm skeptical of taking an antibiotic for this. My dad had a bad case of clostridium difficile and was put on vancomycin at the time, which is like exploding a nuclear nbomb in there. Now they're starting to do fecal transplants for c. diff...

Honestly, I think its doing a little of everything. ;) I like the Fiber Mend and think it helps.

ljimbo423

I'm skeptical of taking an antibiotic for this. My dad had a bad case of clostridium difficile and was put on vancomycin at the time, which is like exploding a nuclear nbomb in there. Now they're starting to do fecal transplants for c. diff...

I actually wasn't suggesting Rifaximin when I wrote that statement, I was showing that adding the guar gum really helped to get rid of SIBO.:) Antibiotics are a double edged sword, they can to a lot of good or a lot of harm. Lot's of trial and error involved with fixing the gut.

Jim

alicec

what are the prebiotics that increase bifidobacteria?

As well as raw potato starch, inulin and GOS (galactose oligosaccaride) are known to stimulate growth of bifido.

I agree with the previous posters, a range of prebiotic types is better than large single doses.

Many people are sensitive to prebiotics but it is worth persisting. I couldn't tolerate any concentrated fibre sources so first focussed on increasing a range of vegetables in the diet.

Later I revisited fibres and started with tiny doses (1/64 tsp), one at a time, building up slowly.

Now I take several teaspoons of several different fibres each day (I rotate these) and after years of mild IBS-D, now have consistently normal BMs (Bristol 3-4) and no gut discomfort.

I've followed gut flora composition with uBiome so I know that this has corresponded with increased diversity in my gut.