• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A dream: to sit in a chair for her birthday

Ember

Jessica posted yesterday, “Again, somehow I've managed to land in the paper, and my dad was interviewed on the radio. Phenomenal! It's strange in a way because things like that just don't happen to our family! I shall post the article tomorrow,”

There's another thread about Jessica here.

Misfit Toy

It really is heartbreaking. I never realized until the internet and only a few years ago, that people were this unwell with ME. 24 years I have been sick and I was only made aware of it a few years ago. Most people I know with CFS, may be indoors, housebound and sometimes bed bound, but to not get in a chair? I wish I could wave a magic wand for Jessica and so many. It's just heartbreaking, eye opening and sickening that no one knows much or is doing anything, really doing anything to move this along for Jessica and so many with this dreadful disease.

adreno

PR activist
It is hard to believe that people can be this sick without any abnormality on tests. There has got to be a clue somewhere as to what is going on. Being this sick would require massive infection or inflammation going on, and it must show it trace somewhere. Maybe the family do not have money for testing. Maybe there is no one knowledgeable to help them. But I believe given the right test and the right treatment, almost anyone can improve. It's sad to see someone suffer like this, and I really believe it is not necessary.

SilverbladeTE

Adreno
um, no it's quite believable to me
we know jack SQUAT about the Universe we live in
our society has a momumental arrogance and blindness to this fact that we know so little.
the complexity of biology vastly out does that of physics...and the latter as we go "deeper and deeper" gets more and more bizzare and complex, yet it's the underpinnings of everything we make, for example.
tiny exmaple: only recently was it discovered the brain produces it's own insulin.
Every day, more is learned.
With such ignorance, how cna you test for what you don't know?
and tests DO show problems with M.E. patients, MRI scans and autopsies show serious anomalous damage to the brain and very specific areas where sensory nerves enter the brain stem

now, I'e had both low blood sugar and meningitis, so I can relate the over sensitatization, the pain, distress etc, of bright light, noise, dealing with multiple things/people at same time etc, to the M.E. experience.

no one in their right mind would suggets that a person with meningitis, very low blood sugar or similar problem affectuing the brain (which includes rabies by the way), would not have terrible time of it.
Same thing with us. Just varies in severity.

if I get it right, Sophia Mirza died because her body was so incredibly exhausted and sensitized that even water was provoking an immune response
(have I got that right?? *asks of the folk who've read up more on it*)
There's 2 way sto advance:
1) deduce the actual udnerlying specific cause and treat that
2) trial and error find out what treatment works

in medicine we can't do much of #2 because suffering and death are result of many wrongly used treatments.
But since we canot as yet find the specific cause we're left high and dry :/

People react very differently to any illness, some are almost immune, some have catastrophic bad reactions
so, one person may never get the Flu, another get's inflammation and infection of the brain or heart and dies!
most folk though lie in between.
we seemto be the unuusal cases for which some problem erupts, as it does for diabetics, arthritis, etc.
We still do NOT know what trully triggers most immune disease. The effects, yes, but not the initialspecific trigger and why.
As time goes on we learn more hence work on diabetes and arthritis and by completely coincidental research that ends up overlapping, shows how peculiar and linked etc such are.

It is hard to believe that people can be this sick without any abnormality on tests. There has got to be a clue somewhere as to what is going on. Being this sick would require massive infection or inflammation going on, and it must show it trace somewhere. Maybe the family do not have money for testing. Maybe there is no one knowledgeable to help them. But I believe given the right test and the right treatment, almost anyone can improve. It's sad to see someone suffer like this, and I really believe it is not necessary.

I totally agree. She deserves to know what's wrong with her at the very least. She could have anything, from prion disease (which can be conveniently hidden as "ME"), to Lyme, to a viral infection. Many of these illnesses are treatable. If her family cannot afford testing then they may be able to raise funds via charitable contributions. If nothing is done then what are her options?

lansbergen

It is hard to believe but it happens. Some of the infected young animals I was monitoring even died and nothing showed up at autopsy.

If it is what I still think it is that is not suprising.

Navid

It is hard to believe but it happens. Some of the infected young animals I was monitoring even died and nothing showed up at autopsy.

If it is what I still think it is that is not suprising.

what do you think it is lansbergen and do have ideas as to how to treat. you can pm me if you prefer. i too am desperate to get out of my bedbound state.

thanks