• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A cry out for help...

ADRENALS

What recommendations are there for GAPS patients for boosting their adrenals?

Adrenals love fat and cholesterol. So, as far as the diet is concerned, eat lots of animal
fats with every meal and cholesterol-rich foods, such as egg yolks, sour cream, butter and
fatty fish. Another essential for the adrenals is sleep! Sleep is really not optional, so
organise your life in such a way that you can have a nap every afternoon and a good long
sleep at night. Another essential is to lower your stress, which is easier done than you
may think. Stress is not the event itself; it is your attitude to this event. Research shows,
that people react to stress very differently depending on their attitude to life. The one,
who generally has a negative personality and tends to worry a lot, has all the stress
hormones and destructive chemicals racing around their bodies. But the person, who has
a philosophical and positive attitude to life, will have much less stress chemicals in their
blood and will cope much better. It is the first type of people that “burn” their adrenals
out. There are excellent books on this subject: you can start from Dale Carnegie’s book
“How to stop worrying and start living”, for example.
Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator:

boo85

Thank you so much guys, I am back for now after adequate rest. Took a break from everything health related, tests, different diets, supplements.

Now I feel much more clearer and I am going to target the gut. I intend to do the Gaps diet. I am already taking lots of bone broth and gaps intro and my symptoms have cleared up 40%. I will update you guys further.

I intend to target the gut and methylation at first. I am not going to specifically target any of my "diagnosis" or glands in particular because half of the symptoms don't even match up. MDS, all they do is put us into boxes, we are all so different...

The lump in the breast wasn't cancer but a swollen lymph node, I was detoxing pretty hard I guess!

My approach will be to look at the body as a whole.

Thank you once again, I'm staying strong and amazed at my strength. I think it's all getting clearer day by day. I know now what to target and the course of action necessary.

Thanks for your update! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Bone broth is a great choice. It's very nutritious.

I do wonder whether maybe you were intolerant to something you were eating before and now that you aren't eating it you are feeling better since you eliminated that food?

Whatever is working for you, keep doing it! Even if you stall or something goes wrong later, how you are feeling now and what you've been changing is still a big clue with how to get better!

I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue and have been having trouble with ferments as
well as coconut oil. I heard someone say that people with this illness have more trouble
with ferments. Why is that? I was up to 1 and ¼ tsp of fermented cabbage juice and
when I increased by another ¼ tsp I experienced really bad die-off. After several days, I
started back at ½ tsp of juice and had bad die-off again. I am looking forward to being
able to get to a point where I can eat the cabbage itself. Why do I have to go so slowly?

Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) are the
most difficult conditions to treat. The detoxification system in these people is in complete
collapse. The toxins are not being handled by the disabled detoxification system, so they
impair the function of mitochondria in the cells. Mitochondria are our energy factories in
the body. As they are disabled the person suffers from severe fatigue, which is the main
symptom of these three conditions.

The detox system needs energy to function, so the
person is trapped in a vicious cycle of not being able to produce energy or detoxify.
As the detoxification system is disabled, any amount of die-off is poorly tolerated, as dieoff
increases toxicity in the body, and there is nobody to handle it. That is why people
with these problems have to go so slowly with increasing probiotics or fermented foods.
Coconut oil has anti-microbial substances and also causes some die-off. Try to modify
your GAPS diet according to your personal needs: move through the stages faster or add
foods which you feel will be good for you earlier, while avoiding those that are difficult
for you to handle at the moment. Please, read my article ONE MAN’S MEAT IS
ANOTHER MAN’S POISON on in the “Resources” section and follow its
recommendations. It may be helpful for you to take digestive enzymes with your meals:
stomach acid at the beginning of the meal and pancreatic enzymes at the end.
Feed yourself very well with meats, fats and well-cooked vegetables for 5 days a week
and then give yourself one day of rest from food – fast for 24-36 hours. For example,
choose Friday as a day of fasting; so, on Thursday skip the evening meal and go to bed
early. On Friday do not eat anything at all, just drink plenty of water. On Saturday have a
normal breakfast and continue eating normally. Repeat this procedure every week. When
we fast, the body has a chance to stop attending to the digestive system and get round to
other jobs, such as restoring your detoxification system. By doing short 24-35 hour fasts
every week you will slowly step-by-step start re-building your ability to detoxify and to
produce energy. The whole process will be enhanced if you do a full coffee enema on
Thursday evening or Friday morning: this procedure will unload your liver, and reduce
the flow of toxicity from you gut into the bloodstream. Please, look for the coffee enema
procedure in the FAQs (it is important to empty your bowel fully with water enemas
before doing the coffee enema).

My heart goes out to people with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and ME; you
have a real challenge with your health, one of the most difficult ones! The important
thing for you is to never give up and trust your body: your body knows what it needs at
any moment. You need to develop a real connection with your body, to learn to listen to
it and have a deep love and respect for it. Because it is your body that is doing the
healing, not the diet or supplements or anything else! Your recovery process is a
partnership between you and your body. So, don’t try to impose anything on your body
without asking it first if it agrees with that. You body will let you know through feelings:
something that is right for you will feel good. If it doesn’t feel good deep inside you than
don’t do it despite the fact that it may seem like a good idea. Your mind is affected by
many different things and can deceive you, while your body is always right. We have lost
touch with our nature and it takes time to learn to listen to our bodies and our souls. But
as you learn, you will become more and more successful, and not only at your physical
recovery, but many other aspects of life.

Even people who don't have fibro, chronic fatigue or methylation issues sometimes still can't handle things like coconut oil, probiotics or fermented foods. I'm not sure why it upsets the bowels and stomachs, but it just does.

For example, my dad can't handle coconut oil, not even 1/2 metal teaspoon full. It gives him loose stools. Same with probiotic capsules and magnesium.

I myself have been able to work my way up over the past 4 months from 1/2 metal teaspoon a day of virgin, unrefined coconut oil, where I can now have up to 3 or 4 metal teaspoons.

If you are able to build up your tolerance to coconut oil, please do! Coconut oil is full of good fat that will help your body repair itself. It's also good for mind clarity and tackling candida too. :)

ADRENALS

What recommendations are there for GAPS patients for boosting their adrenals?

Adrenals love fat and cholesterol. So, as far as the diet is concerned, eat lots of animal
fats with every meal and cholesterol-rich foods, such as egg yolks, sour cream, butter and
fatty fish. Another essential for the adrenals is sleep! Sleep is really not optional, so
organise your life in such a way that you can have a nap every afternoon and a good long
sleep at night. Another essential is to lower your stress, which is easier done than you
may think. Stress is not the event itself; it is your attitude to this event. Research shows,
that people react to stress very differently depending on their attitude to life. The one,
who generally has a negative personality and tends to worry a lot, has all the stress
hormones and destructive chemicals racing around their bodies. But the person, who has
a philosophical and positive attitude to life, will have much less stress chemicals in their
blood and will cope much better. It is the first type of people that “burn” their adrenals
out. There are excellent books on this subject: you can start from Dale Carnegie’s book
“How to stop worrying and start living”, for example.

Definitely increase your saturated fats. I do a "Low carb, High Fat" diet plus no sugar or sweeteners or grains (no wheat, rice, quinoa etc.)

Eat coconut oil, ghee, animal fats, lard, tallow, eggs, gelatine, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, etc.

As long as you aren't lactose intolerant you should also eat cream, full cream milk, butter, greek yogurt.

Try to increase your fats as much as possible every day. If nerves are part of the problem, eating stable, saturated fats will give your body something to replace the myelin sheath surrounding the nerves with good fat. Along with B12 and methylfolate, which will do the repairing (the workers) and good fat (the building bricks.)

Unlike what recent media has suggested, polyunsaturated fats are NOT the answer. Avoid all man-made oils like margarine and man-made spreads, sunflower and canola (rapeseed) oil, rice bran oil, corn oil and other vegetable oils.

And yes, try to create a bedtime routine. Get up out of bed at the same time every day, and your body will start letting you know what time it needs to go to sleep every night in order to get the optimal amount of healing it needs.

Best wishes and please do keep us updated! :)

Thanks for your update! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Even people who don't have fibro, chronic fatigue or methylation issues sometimes still can't handle things like coconut oil, probiotics or fermented foods. I'm not sure why it upsets the bowels and stomachs, but it just does.

For example, my dad can't handle coconut oil, not even 1/2 metal teaspoon full. It gives him loose stools. Same with probiotic capsules and magnesium.

I myself have been able to work my way up over the past 4 months from 1/2 metal teaspoon a day of virgin, unrefined coconut oil, where I can now have up to 3 or 4 metal teaspoons.

If you are able to build up your tolerance to coconut oil, please do! Coconut oil is full of good fat that will help your body repair itself. It's also good for mind clarity and tackling candida too. :)

Definitely increase your saturated fats. I do a "Low carb, High Fat" diet plus no sugar or sweeteners or grains (no wheat, rice, quinoa etc.)

Eat coconut oil, ghee, animal fats, lard, tallow, eggs, gelatine, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, etc.

As long as you aren't lactose intolerant you should also eat cream, full cream milk, butter, greek yogurt.

Try to increase your fats as much as possible every day. If nerves are part of the problem, eating stable, saturated fats will give your body something to replace the myelin sheath surrounding the nerves with good fat. Along with B12 and methylfolate, which will do the repairing (the workers) and good fat (the building bricks.)

Unlike what recent media has suggested, polyunsaturated fats are NOT the answer. Avoid all man-made oils like margarine and man-made spreads, sunflower and canola (rapeseed) oil, rice bran oil, corn oil and other vegetable oils.

And yes, try to create a bedtime routine. Get up out of bed at the same time every day, and your body will start letting you know what time it needs to go to sleep every night in order to get the optimal amount of healing it needs.

Best wishes and please do keep us updated! :)

Hi my dearest friend!

Oh, those weren't my questions. Those were the questions from the GAPS FAQ. I don't react badly to Coconut oil or most supplements like Glutathione. The only foods I react badly to are Rice, Gluten, Sugar and processed foods. Otherwise, I'm good to go.

Great recommendations! This is exactly what my Gaps practitoner recommended me to take. I will post her protocol here later. She also said I have fungal overgrowth in the liver, gallstone and small intestinal problems as well as a virus in my nucleus and mitochondria.... she says I was born with this virus.

Can you tell me more about methylfolate and b12? May seem like a stupid question but I'm still relatively new to Methylation and the B-Vitamins and all that jazz... What are they for? Who should take them? etc etc

boo85

@LivingwithFibro basically when you take B12, especially when you're deficient, the B12 wants to heal your neuropathy and create new cells, but to do that, it needs other vitamins, such as folate (methylfolate is the best option), iron, potassium, magnesium. If you don't end up needing B12 or any of those other things, the worst thing that might happen is nothing. But if you are deficient in them, then taking them should set you up on a path to healing.

Make some broth from chicken or beef bones. Cook it over the stove or in a slow cooker for 12 hours. Add powdered gelatin to it. Then strain out the meat and bones and freeze the broth or put it in the fridge. Drink a serving of this broth every day.

If you have a fungal overgrowth, I can recommend goldenseal tablets, olive leaf extract, and homemade kefir.

Thanks for responding. I was thinking of you. :)

@LivingwithFibro basically when you take B12, especially when you're deficient, the B12 wants to heal your neuropathy and create new cells, but to do that, it needs other vitamins, such as folate (methylfolate is the best option), iron, potassium, magnesium. If you don't end up needing B12 or any of those other things, the worst thing that might happen is nothing. But if you are deficient in them, then taking them should set you up on a path to healing.

Make some broth from chicken or beef bones. Cook it over the stove or in a slow cooker for 12 hours. Add powdered gelatin to it. Then strain out the meat and bones and freeze the broth or put it in the fridge. Drink a serving of this broth every day.

If you have a fungal overgrowth, I can recommend goldenseal tablets, olive leaf extract, and homemade kefir.

Thanks for responding. I was thinking of you. :)

Thank you so much!

I have so much to say but at this point it is even difficult to type - you know how it is, and even more difficult to gather my thoughts.