• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A brilliant new cure guys ;) Thrive programme

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
During the years I spent working for someone with the severe version of the illness I came across some very strange cures and therapists. Some are simply suffering from intractable megolamania others are con artists out to make as much money as possible and play the role of hero. Cobblers to the lot of them.

Someone with severe ME would not be able to work.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Reminds me of this comic
90394050a079012f2fe600163e41dd5b

NelliePledge

Ah, now. There's no need to drag poor @NelliePledge into it! :D
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
well clearly Im not a suitable candidate for THRIVE

edited to add
We know LP checks people's suitability (?suggestibility;)) other dodgy programmes probably do this as well. Im guessing one of the top questions would be "are you now or have you ever been a member of Phoenix Rising"

Last edited:

Solstice

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
well clearly Im not a suitable candidate for THRIVE

edited to add
We know LP checks people's suitability (?suggestibility;)) other dodgy programmes probably do this as well. Im guessing one of the top questions would be "are you now or have you ever been a member of Phoenix Rising"

Before my course of CBT/GET in the Netherlands in 2005 I did get a screening to see if I was compatible with the program. A sort of gullibility test. Passed with flying colors, hurray.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

In the most modern research studies in the world, they are starting to show that physical symptoms such as Fibromyalgia, IBS and ME are largely caused and maintained by how people think and process events.

We seriously have a problem with understanding of psychology, when so many people fall for such nonsense.

For example, it's NOT coincidence that nearly everybody I see with IBS is highly anxious. What people don't realise is the mind-body connection.

Is this "Therapist" not cognizant of the body-mind connection?

They are often in denial that their "thinking" could have anything to do with it and therefore totally dismiss the idea.

Because, we aren't delusional. :rofl:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
OK the penny dropped. I read both your posts multiple times before I understood what you were saying. <sigh>

So maybe--I just didn't read it that way when posting.

Thought maybe @andyguitar would enlighten me with an explanation. Was your employer a PwME whom you cared for?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
No problem snowdrop. Yes Orla, PA is one way of describing what i did for the sufferer. A more accurate description would be "Attack Dog"! Time and time again I had to deal with idiots who think sufferers are bonkers. Worst were the social workers. Diplomacy is the best approach combined with firmness. The iron fist in the velvet glove.

Lucky they had you there. Dealing with social services alone and not well is a horror.