• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5 June - Jeremy Vine BBC R2 - chronic fatigue.....CFS

Starlight

I don't think I managed to hear all of the piece on CFS but what I heard I thought was OK in terms of informing the general public. I thought the Dr was very sympathetic and while it's not true that drs now all believe in ME/CFS I thought it was no harm for a Dr on the national airwaves to make it sound like they did and should do. It'll hopefully mean that the general public who don't know anything about ME might be more sympathetic when they meet patients. I don't think it will have done harm. That's my two cents anyway.

slysaint

I don't think it will have done harm.
No I don't either. On the contrary, because of their initial mix-up about what they wanted to discuss it ended up being more about ME/CFS than anything forcing the issue to be aired on prime time national BBC Radio even though it was only for 20 minutes.
Simon Wessely and the SMC must be fuming:D

slysaint

Yesterday there was a JV phone in show including Lyme disease; not available at the moment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06bgjwp

Someone texted in that a lot of people with Lyme are misdiagnosed with ME.
Marked difference in sympathy/ seriousness levels compared to when ME/CFS was 'discussed'.
Eg one caller had been ill for 6 years. JV said something along the lines of 'Six years of being so ill that's awful'.........