• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

25 Oct E Crawley speaking at Better Science Better Data event......

NelliePledge

Oh and what is it about Cookiies is it a subliminal message to PR given the many posts about biscuits in recent weeks

Warning: I have eaten cake this evening (am doing low carb) so on a sugar rush please forgive if my posts are even more flippant than usual

Also feeling rather upbeat after seeing unrest & q&a. :D:D

ladycatlover

Some thoughts but on the EC performance

1 she looks stressed out of her mind
2 the attempts at flirting were cringe worthy
3 the audience seemed to be more interested in cake than her

She seemed to be saying that if you agreed to publish in open access journals that you still didn't have to hand your data over even though you sign up for that? :rolleyes: After 15 minutes of her self serving carp (MSE anagram) I was losing the will to live and didn't take in some stuff very welll... :aghhh: Anyway, I was shouting at the screen That's Fraud! :nervous: She promotes signing up for something you have no intention of doing what they tell you to do? :eek:

I may well be wrong as yesterday we had visitation from 4 grandkids, :) twin boys age 6, boy age 4, girl age 2... My brain hurts! ;)

RogerBlack

She seemed to be saying that if you agreed to publish in open access journals that you still didn't have to hand your data over even though you sign up for that?

If you carefully read the policies of the data repostitories, this can be true.
For example, the bristol data repository has various degrees of openness, from 'just download it' on.

However, if you choose to submit non-anonymised patient data, and do not include anonymised patient data as a seperate entry, the policies basically revert to what the PACE team were doing before the tribunal.
I.E. sharing only with like-minded friends.

This is the best of both worlds! (from their POV)

Deepwater

If you carefully read the policies of the data repostitories, this can be true.
For example, the bristol data repository has various degrees of openness, from 'just download it' on.

However, if you choose to submit non-anonymised patient data, and do not include anonymised patient data as a seperate entry, the policies basically revert to what the PACE team were doing before the tribunal.
I.E. sharing only with like-minded friends.

This is the best of both worlds! (from their POV)

And she also seemed to be pleading for endorsement for this policy from the rest of the scientific community. What am I saying? I mean, from the scientific community.

Countrygirl

Wow!

By the 30th August, one day after the 10 working day deadline, no response had been received from Bristol University and a further email was sent to the ICO advising them of this fact. At 5.21pm that same day, Bristol University then responded to the FOI request of 12th June, stating: We have received no official reports of harassment of University staff by a third party between September 2010 and June 2015. Conclusion The 2016 tribunal appeal Judgement ordering QMUL to release the PACE trial data, which had found, in the Judge’s words, no threats have been made either to researchers or participants, taken together with this new information that Bristol University have no reports of harassment of University staff by a third party between September 2010 and January 2017 raises questions about such accusations and about those who make them.

JohntheJack

In her presentation Crawley used a slide of the front page of the Sunday Times Magazine. The image belongs to Mat Gill. Gill has been contacted (not by me) about its use.

He confirmed that he did give Crawley permission to use the image, but he 'was a bit concerned about how she presented the image - the context of the image is clearly important and not disclosed!'

He has emailed Crawley and asked 'her to be clear in her presentations that the image was an illustration published in the ST Magazine'.

Crawley was clearly using the image to give a false impression and has been told off by the owner/creator of the image and told not to do it again.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Crawley was clearly using the image to give a false impression and has been told off by the owner/creator of the image and told not to do it again.
She has past form for that sort of behaviour.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good image.

Anyone remember the "preppie" American girl and the Armenian family in the British Renal Society talk?

lilpink

In her presentation Crawley used a slide of the front page of the Sunday Times Magazine. The image belongs to Mat Gill. Gill has been contacted (not by me) about its use.

He confirmed that he did give Crawley permission to use the image, but he 'was a bit concerned about how she presented the image - the context of the image is clearly important and not disclosed!'

He has emailed Crawley and asked 'her to be clear in her presentations that the image was an illustration published in the ST Magazine'.

Apols if this has been put to bed elsewhere... not been on PR much lately. But wasn't the image itself mocked up anyway? The fact that the 'owner/creator' was able to give 'permission' implies it wasn't a disgruntled patient's work. Faking an image like this which is designed to malign (by inference) a disabled population is getting pretty damn close to 'hate speech' isn't it? So I rather feel the peeved response by the 'creator/owner' to be irrelevant other that it illustrates quite how uncontrollable Crawley can be when she has this particular bit between her teeth.

JohntheJack

Apols if this has been put to bed elsewhere... not been on PR much lately. But wasn't the image itself mocked up anyway? The fact that the 'owner/creator' was able to give 'permission' implies it wasn't a disgruntled patient's work. Faking an image like this which is designed to malign (by inference) a disabled population is getting pretty damn close to 'hate speech' isn't it? So I rather feel the peeved response by the 'creator/owner' to be irrelevant other that it illustrates quite how uncontrollable Crawley can be when she has this particular bit between her teeth.

Yes, it was. There was never any letter like that. The words are supposed to have been said to Wessely over the phone.