• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

25 mg Lactic Acid in Kombucha: Problem for PWCs?

I don't think I "fit" the definition and symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (e.g., I don't fulfill all the medical criteria, symptoms seem to sway relative to hormones and possible influence on thyroid, have tried most supplements for CFS with no benefit), but I do have post-exertional malaise when I exercise more than a little bit, often feeling worse the entire next day in terms of fatigue. I don't think I have easy muscle soreness, but this was something that seemed to start happening over a year ago when I started getting PEM, despite being on testosterone replacement. I don't get usual lactic acid symptoms, like soreness.

That said, I have been drinking (and loving more than I thought) kombucha along with taking a good probiotic supplement, which seems to help my gut motility (and therefore, important for me, my estrogen). This kombucha drink has 25 mg of lactic acid. I haven't noticed any direct or obvious connections between drinking it and an increase in symptoms, BUT:

Does anyone know if this is too much or a bad thing in general to consume lactic acid if I have chronic fatigue (but not necessarily diagnosable CFS, likely fine lactic acid levels but possibly not)?

Bansaw

When I take Kombucha I get an immediate reaction, as I do with most fermented drinks, like water kefir too.
I don't know if lactic acid causes the symptoms, but I did read that it was a histamine reaction that caused the problems. I took a ton of anti-biotics at various stages in the past. I mean, really heavy courses.

If I could take Kombucha or kefir with no noticeable symptoms like you, then I would certainly do it personally. I know for certain that my gut microbiome is compromised and I think daily kefir/kombucha would repopulate me in a good way.
I am sure other people will chime in about the lactic acid question.