• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme useful?

Prefect

I'm sure having 50% custody is pretty tricky, and it may not be possible to make changes to your schedule (or you may not want to make changes) but since your sleep issues are tied to anxiety about your son potentially waking up when he's with you, have you considered the possibility of temporarily not having him sleep at your place

I've tried. My ex wife is averse to inconvenience.

Our relationship broke down pretty much the week she decided, after co-sleeping with him for 7 months, that she was burned out and made us Ferberize him in one night. His metabolism was set on a 12 hour nighttime nursing whenever he was hungry to suddenly going hungry for 12 straight hours a night.

If they hadn't been co-sleeping and he was let to cry it out from the start I would have been okay with all this. Or at least a more gradual transition; but no, she wouldn't have it.

The first night it was my job to Ferberize him, or at least a gentler version of it where I stand in the room with him for the first couple of hours. His head was covered in cold sweat the first minute he realized what was happening as he frantically cried in the dark.

That week, watching him suffer like a little animal in a dark room on the monitor, I stopped loving my wife and became an asshole to her.

I need to do this the hard way and get over this hump.

He's also coming down with autism. This is destroying me. I need to figure out some way of helping us both, because I suspect the conditions (CFS and autism) are related.

Carl

I've tried. My ex wife is averse to inconvenience.

Our relationship broke down pretty much the week she decided, after co-sleeping with him for 7 months, that she was burned out and made us Ferberize him in one night. His metabolism was set on a 12 hour nighttime nursing whenever he was hungry to suddenly going hungry for 12 straight hours a night.

If they hadn't been co-sleeping and he was let to cry it out from the start I would have been okay with all this. Or at least a more gradual transition; but no, she wouldn't have it.

The first night it was my job to Ferberize him, or at least a gentler version of it where I stand in the room with him for the first couple of hours. His head was covered in cold sweat the first minute he realized what was happening as he frantically cried in the dark.

That week, watching him suffer like a little animal in a dark room on the monitor, I stopped loving my wife and became an asshole to her.

I need to do this the hard way and get over this hump.

He's also coming down with autism. This is destroying me. I need to figure out some way of helping us both, because I suspect the conditions (CFS and autism) are related.
Your correct, because they are.....a social bacterial infection. However it's their effects and their point of attack which is crucial, coupled with the state of the nervous system which controls the immune system which dictate the health effects.

It could come from your (ex) partner who might not show symptoms. It's very difficult to say or lay any blame because it is not always so obvious as I have this and my family member has this therefore it must of come from me. It's only knowing who presented the subtle symptoms first that it can be worked out. You could of got it from her! From the limit information that is certainly possible based upon what you have said about her. Most people totally miss it or disregard the most telling symptoms. I spotted possible signs in President Trump during his TV debates, the person who claims to be in excellent health. Not surprising really due to his age as everyone becomes infected by these bacteria at some point in their life. How many elderly people do not have some form of autoimmune illness? Very few. I see it regularly in people and even some sports stars show signs.

Basilico

Florida

That sounds really rough. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Some things to look into for your son are GAPS diet (this might also help your GI issues too). Not sure if you already know about it, but many parents start it for their children who are autistic and notice improvements.

Also, I don't know whether this is legit or not, but I've been taking sulphoraphane (BroccoMax) which is a really potent antioxidant that is excellent for scavenging free radicals created by reactive oxygen species, and I noticed in the comments on Amazon that many parents are giving it to their children with autism and noticing improvements. Maybe something to look into.

Also, I think any methylation support you can provide would be helpful for him. It seems like there is an even split between CFS and autism in terms of the people who benefit from methylation support.

Good luck on your quest for both you and your son.

merylg

I found 23andMe very useful. Was grateful for the health reports they used to issue, in spite of the controversy.

Most useful program for analysis of raw data was Analyze My Genes https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/

I then took some findings to a Clinical Geneticist with an interest in this stuff. Was helpful but it is costly in their time to look at this stuff. So my quest is ongoing.

Last edited:

Prefect

Also, I don't know whether this is legit or not, but I've been taking sulphoraphane (BroccoMax) which is a really potent antioxidant that is excellent for scavenging free radicals created by reactive oxygen species,

Thanks for this info. I just bought L-Carnitine, I've read it helps people with CFS and people with Autism by addressing mitochondrial dysfunction. I may test it this week and see how I respond. I'll be using myself as guinea pig before I try anything on him.