• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme test results, need guidance

ryan31337

-Wake up after 2-3 hours sweaty/hot and have big trouble falling to sleep again.
-First skin getting warmer and warmer and then palpitations and usually headache after some time
-My cravings is for all kinds of foods
-I have measured my blood sugar numerous times and I have never measured abnormally low but often pretty high(after meals)... Fasting blood sugar is always fine though.
-Also, I cannot tolerate stimulants like caffeine, teobromine and nicotine anymore.
-Also have periods I urinate and feel thirsty all the time
-I feel absolutely like garbage and cannot manage to do much other than emptying my fridge and shelves for food.

Don't mistake this as in any way reliable advice, I'm just going off a biased interpretation from my own experiences...but have you tried a Keto diet to stabilise blood sugar? Your symptoms above match my experience before discovering I had reactive hypoglycemia.

Don't mistake this as in any way reliable advice, I'm just going off a biased interpretation from my own experiences...but have you tried a Keto diet to stabilise blood sugar? Your symptoms above match my experience before discovering I had reactive hypoglycemia.
I forgot to mention that my blood sugar is fine. Both fasting and HbA1c. Also tested several times during the night and its completely normal. I have tried low carb diet some time ago and was keto sometimes. Eating at night does not make any difference either.

Last edited:

ryan31337

That's a shame it didn't help you :(

I think its safe to say you can disregard fasting and HbA1c glucose results as being helpful in identifying reactive hypo, its debatable if its reliably captured even on mixed meal GTTs etc. I never managed to capture extreme swings on a reader but it was impossible to refute the change in signs and symptoms.

I wouldn't count out blood sugars being at least partly involved, just scanned your thread on the other site and there's even more in there to raise suspicion of some glucose/insulin dysregulation going on - like with mine its not going to be the root cause but possibly a significant contributor. When its bad enough it can be incredibly disabling.

Perhaps hit a 20g carb keto diet really strictly for a couple of weeks and see? Can't hurt if doctors aren't helping and you're grasping at straws.

That's a shame it didn't help you :(

I think its safe to say you can disregard fasting and HbA1c glucose results as being helpful in identifying reactive hypo, its debatable if its reliably captured even on mixed meal GTTs etc. I never managed to capture extreme swings on a reader but it was impossible to refute the change in signs and symptoms.

I wouldn't count out blood sugars being at least partly involved, just scanned your thread on the other site and there's even more in there to raise suspicion of some glucose/insulin dysregulation going on - like with mine its not going to be the root cause but possibly a significant contributor. When its bad enough it can be incredibly disabling.

Perhaps hit a 20g carb keto diet really strictly for a couple of weeks and see? Can't hurt if doctors aren't helping and you're grasping at straws.

I can try keto again next time I am off meds. and see if it helps. Thanks!.

ryan31337

I hope it does! Good luck.

Have you had any investigation into OI/POTS and other dysautonomia? Interestingly the experts I see for POTS were the ones that pointed out the hypo issue to me, they see it frequently and specifically pointed out how significantly sleep is disrupted by it. They also see a lot of histamine/MCAS issues in these patients too (myself included).

I have issued a sleep study through my doctor. Should have done this a long time ago.

Just a shot in the dark, could low cortisol at night explain my situation? Every cortisol morning blood test have been upper normal. Have taken saliva 2x which was low in the evening and slightly elevated in the morning and a full 24h urine that I have never seen the result of but never heard from my doctor about this so should have been normal(maybe high morning could have masked the result?).

Iam running empty of possible causes. The biggest clue/only thing that makes any big difference is the strong antihistamines (high doses trimipramine, quetiapine, mirtazapine and so on).

Pregabalin also helps ALOT for many of the issues after nights without any antihistamines or when they don't work anymore. Pregabalin has basically been the reason I have made it through the last 1 and a half year as it works as a instant antidepressant for me when used at max dosage sparingly.

Update: Tried Ketotifen last night with no help.

Last edited:
Note on nightly problem: still some help from Trimipramine and Quetiapine. Butterbur extract also seems to help with high and frequent doses through the night.