• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme- shipping to Europe?

Lala

Hi,
could some one help me with my question? I would like to order 23andme to Europe, but they have incredibly expensive shipping- the cost is same as the cost of test! One of my relatives will be coincidentaly flying to EU and back to US during September. Is it possible to order 23andme to US adress and have it fetched to EU and then sent it from US to the lab? The main question is whether time plays a role during transportation of sample or not, because this method would last longer than sending sample by common expensive way with courier.

ukxmrv

When I spoke with 23 and ME about getting the saliva sample back to them they gave me the impression that once fixed in the solution it would be good for weeks. The reason I had this discussion was that I was worried about getting it back to them in time.

The shipping was expensive because they used the courier DHL (or similar as I have forgotten exactly who it was). They also said that the kit would be good for something like 6 months before use.

Best check with them and see if it could be sent by ordinary mail to you and then maybe the relative back or something? If your relative visiting the USA had an address it could be sent to that USA address first, they take to Europe, you spit in the tube and then they take it back and mail to the lab. I don't know if there would be any problems with bringing the sample into the USA in their luggage though.

Lala

Thank you, ukxmrv, that helps. I could check with them if I had time, but I need to order immediately if my relative should be able to fetch the box and their response takes several bussiness days.

Lala

Just in case some one else would be interested in the same question, I called airport and asked whether it is ok to have saliva in test tube in the baggage. They replied I have to inform air company with which I am flying, which sounds stupid since nobody informs about his teethbrush in the luggage, so now I am concerned since I do not want to cause problems to my relative.

Critterina

23andme should be able to answer your question. I was concerned about putting in my mailbox in the sun for the mail carrier to pick up on a day that was 108 F, but I got my results OK.

Lala

They did not answer yet. Regarding temperature, many flights have freeze in their freight hold, so there is question if it does matter.

I know shipping was quite expensive, almost as much as the test costs but it includes shipping to you and also back to the lab. I would email them and see what they have to say.