• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results

Hello,

I need help interpreting my 23andme results, I am in Australia and am STRUGGLING to find any kind of practitioner that help me run through them and suggest possible treatment plans!

These are my results, but I have ordered the test for my son who we have discovered in amine intolerant - If he eats amines he gets depressed, grumpy and aggressive, hopefully I will find some answers for him also!

Thanks in anticipation
Claire

COMT V158M +/+
COMT H62H +/+
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MAO A R297R +/-
MTHFR C677T +/+
MTRR A66G +/-
CBS A360A +/+
SHMT1 C1420T +/-
Gene & Variation
rsID
Alleles
Result

Valentijn

I need help interpreting my 23andme results, I am in Australia and am STRUGGLING to find any kind of practitioner that help me run through them and suggest possible treatment plans!

COMT V158M +/+
COMT H62H +/+
VDR Bsm +/-
VDR Taq +/-
MAO A R297R +/-
MTHFR C677T +/+
MTRR A66G +/-
CBS A360A +/+
SHMT1 C1420T +/-
COMT +/+ and MAO +/- indicate that you're breaking down serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine slowly. In practical terms this means you probably need to avoid supplementing with much methyl- groups or dopamine/serotonin precursors. VDR Taq might mitigate that problem a bit, by slowing down the production of dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. VDR Bsm and Taq are both indicating the same dysfunction (though Bsm is reported backwards), hence Bsm has no additional impact.

MTHFR C677T +/+ is a pretty serious one. Being homozygous for that indicates that your production of methylfolate is badly impaired, running at about 30% of normal. SHMT1 can aggravate that issue, and potentially cause problems creating folinic acid. Thus supplementing methylfolate is likely required, and folinic acid might help a bit too. It might be important to avoid the inactive form of folate, folic acid, which is usually added to breads and cereals in the supermarket.

MTRR A66G results in raised homocysteine when homozygous. No idea if being heterozygous causes the same problem, but you could supplement B12 to see if it helps. Because you have the slow version of COMT, hydroxoB12 could be a better choice than methylB12.

There's no research at all indicating that CBS A360A has any impact on the CBS gene, hence that SNP can be ignored.

SUMMARY:
It's probably necessary for you to supplement methylfolate, and you also might benefit from folinic acid and/or hydroxoB12.

Bluebell

Claire, Dr. Ben Lynch has a website that is mainly about the C677T mutation. http://mthfr.net/read-this-first/2012/01/25/ And click around beyond the initial list of links he recommends on that particular page - there is a lot of information on the site.

He has a free video here: http://www.seekinghealth.com/natural-health-video/methylation-defects-and-mthfr.html

You could also check out what Dr. Amy Yasko and Dr. James Roberts have to say about your mutations, because they give specific advice based on the various SNPs, although not all of their views are shared by other experts. See their links here (go to the last post in the thread): http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tional-links-about-methylation-and-b12.23974/