• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results - should I go with metyl or hydroxy? Or other?

Hi to all,

I've been suffering with CFS like symptoms for last 3 years extensively, I also have some autoimmune thyroid disease. I've done 23andme genetic testing, and also Genetic genie methylation report. But I've got some contradictory advices about supplements. I should both avoid amethyl B12 and use methyl B12.

Please, can anybody help me understand, what supplements I would really benefit from? Here is the genetic genie report.

Thank you very much!

COMT V158M rs4680 AA +/+
COMT H62H rs4633 TT +/+
COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
VDR Bsm rs1544410 CT +/-
VDR Taq rs731236 AG +/-
MAO-A R297R rs6323 GG -/-
ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
MTHFR C677T rs1801133 GG -/-
MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-
MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT -/-
MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-
MTRR A66G rs1801394 AA -/-
MTRR H595Y rs10380 __ no call
MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
MTRR R415T rs2287780 __ no call
MTRR A664A rs1802059 AA +/+
BHMT-02 rs567754 CT +/-
BHMT-04 rs617219 __ no call
BHMT-08 rs651852 TT +/+
AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-
AHCY-02 rs819134 __ no call
AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-
CBS C699T rs234706 AG +/-
CBS A360A rs1801181 GG -/-
CBS N212N rs2298758 __ no call
SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 __ no call

Last edited:

alicec

There's no substance to the claims that certain SNPs need certain forms of B12.

Some people do seem to be sensitive to methyl groups and this has been attributed to COMT +/+, but this is just a theory. Plenty of people who are COMT +/+ tolerate them while others who are COMT -/- don't.

You would need to experiment to find out what suits you. Start with a small dose and increase slowly. Remember that B12 works with folate and that the need for other nutrients may increase if you start stimulating these pathways.

The only SNP in your list with much significance is the first COMT. This does slow the enzyme. You could try supplementing with the enzyme cofactor magnesium.

The MTR SNP would slightly slow the enzyme but you don't have the MTRR combination which makes this worse. Some B12 might be helpful.

None of the other SNPs have much consequence. The A allele for MTRR rs1802059 appears to be protective.

Basilico

Florida
The best form to take, if you tolerate it, is methylB12. My husband is an overmethylator and he couldn't tolerate normal doses of methyl B12 at first, so he started with very small amounts of it and was able to work his way up to a full dose. Now, he can take methylB12 whenever he wants with no problem.

I'd like to ask some theoretical questions and know your opinion.

I was always anxious kid and still today if there is something big comming (like moving out, some public speaking) I can't sleep well and feel anxious the more the event is closer.

I also had problem with histamine, I used to react to everything I ate, besides chicken meat, potatoes, and some other things. But I always had problems when eating sweets, some exotic (for european guy :)) fruits like kiwi, bananas, even strawberries. I had eczema, full head of dundruff, etc. And I still badly react to some parts of food like yeast (that's why I can't take some B vitamins). I did a test on DAO (diaminooxydase), an enzyme which breaks down histamine in food and I have border values for activity of that enzyme. I did the test again after one year of following anti-histamine diet and the results where exactly the same, 10. So no improvement. They say that this enzyme is located in small intestine (in the lining) and if you damage the lining (the surface of the intestine), you can't produce enough of that enzyme. I could have damage my lining by stressful school and first year of work, where I was really anxious.

So for me, I have two conclusions so far for my CSF. It might be caused by the sluggish DAO enzyme (eczemas, dandruff from the time I can remember) or it might be caused by the COMT gene mutation (low activity of that enzyme) which don't break dopamine fast enough (always anxious kid) and in longer therm damaging the lining of intestine (Actually, the more I heal the higher the DAO enzyme shoud be, so I will see in next years if there will be some shift upward in the activity).

Do you think that COMT mutation (AA) can cause such consequences?