• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme results - multiple mutations (please help)

mariovitali

Hi All,

I received my 23andme results and used Genetic Genie to identify mutations on the methylation pathways (i attached the results). I have neurological problems (i will check for spinal cord degeneration tomorrow since gradually i have lost 30-40% of need to visit WC, reduced sense of orgasm), insomnia, inability to think clearly.

Since i have multiple mutations i am trying to figure out what to do. I purchased Metafolin, TMG, Methyl-Cobalamin, Hydroxycobalamin.

After a lot of trial and error i managed to understand some patterns :

1) I think that B12 (hydroxycobalamin) supplementation makes me worse (induces neurological problems - why?)
2) Metafolin is helpful (1600 mcg / day)
3) It appears that TMG is helpful too (1000 mg)
4) NAC has helped me in the past but i am not taking it anymore (600 mg)

Should i supplement with anything else? (Taurine, Vitamin D, etc) or stop taking some of the supplements that i currently take?Sometimes i get panic attacks does this mean i am overmethylating?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• Methylation-Genie.png
    Methylation-Genie.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 32

Valentijn

mariovitali
MTHFR C677T being homozygous means that your methylfolate production is at 30% of normal. Hence supplementing methylfolate is needed.

Some B12 might be helpful, but much shouldn't be needed. MethylB12 should be tolerated in normal doses, as your COMT, VDR, and MAOA aren't particularly slow.

A little B6 also might be helpful, as you don't have the fast versions of CBS and your BHMT-08 is a bit slow.

SUMMARY:
Methylfolate is definitely needed. A bit of B12 and B6 also might be helpful.

You might be feeling crappy if you're taking more B12 than you need. You can probably drop the hydroxoB12 (especially since it's causing you symptoms) and stick to a small amount of methylB12. If that still causes problems, then you might want to try cutting B12 back further, basically to a normal dose that you'd get from a multi-vitamin or B-complex.

mariovitali

Valentijn

Thank you for your reply! It appears that i tolerated MethylB12 without problems (around 1000mcg) so HydrB12 is not good for me.

Do you think that TMG will do harm given my profile? I read that Betaine (=TMG) has been shown to stop and also reverse (up to a point) spinal cord degeneration.

I assume that the dosage of Metafolin should be around 800mcg or homozygous mutation of MTHFR needs a larger dose?

Thanks again