• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme genetic testing

nanonug

I couldn't possibly start a new forum, and I really like this one. I am hoping that Cort might find this complimentary to the site instead of taking it elsewhere.

OK, let me clarify. I was actually talking about a subforum, under "Treatment and Therapy" called Nutrigenomics. I don't think we would need to restrict it to methylation SNP's only as we already have a subforum (this one) for that.

nanonug

Recently scientists found that RNAs from our FOOD are in fact intact in our blood and can influence the expression of our genes.

Thanks for posting this article. It totally goes against the "old rules".

If it weren't enough to "worry" about epigenetics, one now also has to worry about damn plants' micro RNA's! :)

In any case, we still really don't know what's inside those Yasko RNA formulations.

determined

Yes, it's certainly a complicated disease. I think if we could fastforward 5 - 10 years, Yasko's RNAs would stand alongside many other such treatments; but they would have FDA approval and evidence of efficacy - and we certainly wouldn't take any of them without knowing exactly what they are and what they are supposed to do.

greenshots

As a former ICU nurse, I find this statement about the FDA baffling. if patients had ANY idea that they were the final phase in drug testing (once they're released), they'd be shocked! Not to mention, we used drugs off label for a million things and the drugs that were used "correctly", like Lipitor, etc., are pure garbage! when you think of FDA approval, please know that its a total racket! my best friend worked with Merck for years as a lead developer. Everytime they did a study, they came to her and paid her $40,000 to "make it come out this way" and she did. Only after 3 years of this she found she couldn't live with herself anymore and quit. She now works in a rental car agency for peanuts but she's able to look in the mirror each day. Please be careful about that FDA seal of approval, its not what you think it is.

Angela

Yes, it's certainly a complicated disease. I think if we could fastforward 5 - 10 years, Yasko's RNAs would stand alongside many other such treatments; but they would have FDA approval and evidence of efficacy - and we certainly wouldn't take any of them without knowing exactly what they are and what they are supposed to do.

greenshots

I've noticed in my reading that a lot of highly sensitive people seem to have trouble tolerating the RNAs. Unlikely they'll be much use for me!

Thats only her mutation specific RNAs people don't tolerate but the others are wonderful and if I can ever afford it, I'll be on Nerve Calm, Stress foundation, Comfort support and anxiety RNAs daily! I can now tolerate her CBS RNA (i have the double cbs 699) but it took a LONG time and only with my new doc. The last one amost killed me but this one wouldn't allow even 1 regular drop, ut had to be 1 drop CBS in an entire botle of distilled water and I started with 1 drop of that!

Angela

hixxy

greenshots

Oh bless you, Hixxy!!! I was so excited when you all did your initial results last week that I sent them to my doc, in hopes that it would all magically come together. I guess I shoulda waited until they had all been checked over again but she's been working on translating them for the past couple years because so many of her patients need the financial break with 23&me, including me! But I had finally given up and just had the Yasko panel done this past January. I'm sorta glad I did though since I have the ACAT and MTHFR 3 as well as a double CBS 699, NOS, and ACE! Nasty combo! I guess the MTHFR 3 is worse than the C677 and the A1298c is as well so I have a double bummer there but at least they can all be addressed. Plus, she's had people with worse combo's (my best friend's 18 year old daughter, for starters!) so at least we can go after them. But I do have a few other friends who just can't afford the $500 Yasko one and won't ever be able to have them done otherwise. Muchas gracias! You're a blessing!

Angela

For anyone who's interested that isn't following the other thread on 23andme results. Here's a post for a tool to interpret your test results to the same notation as the Yasko/nutrigenomics test.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?17084-Extract-SNPs-from-23andme-data-to-yasko-nutrigenomics-notation&p=251535&viewfull=1#post251535

Might make things easier for anyone else who goes the 23andme route instead of Yasko/nutrigenomics in the future.

roxie60

MTRR S257T SNP rs2303080 anyone know how to find the alelles in 23andMe when we cant use this Rs#, just wondering if someone found the ios# associated with this gene so it can b looked up in 23andme,thx

Critterina

I guess the MTHFR 3 is worse than the C677 and the A1298c is as well so I have a double bummer there but at least they can all be addressed.

Angela
greenshots
Angela,
Help me out with this MTHFR 3, would you? I see in a SNPedia Yasko Methylation list of risk alleles, it has C677T, 3, A1298C, and P39P. When I run my results through Genetic Genie, there are just three listed, C677T, 03 P39P, and A1298C. Either from the order they are in, or from the fact that the middle one is "03 P39P", I thought that P39P was the same as 3. I'm inferring from your post that it's something different. Is it something that 23andMe doesn't test for? Do you have the rs number?
Thanks! There's always something more to learn, and usually something for me to unlearn at the same time.

Sea

MTRR S257T SNP rs2303080 anyone know how to find the alelles in 23andMe when we cant use this Rs#, just wondering if someone found the ios# associated with this gene so it can b looked up in 23andme,thx

23andme doesn't test for this one

For future reference though if you're interested in how to find out:

Firstly go to your Browse Raw Data and search for the gene - in this case MTRR. You can see from the list that comes up that all the snps have an rs number. As the rs number you want isn't there we can say 23andme don't have it on their chip

Secondly using rs267606886 as an example. Search for it in your raw data and you'll find it's not there. Do a google search to find it at dbSNp (actually I've chosen a bad example as for some reason beyond my understanding google doesn't find dbSNP as an option for this one but usually they do come up and here is the link anyway)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=rs267606886

Scroll down to the graphlike diagram where you can see the rs number against a background of the position numbers on the gene. Hold your mouse over the rs number or over the little box (when there is one) that the green line goes through and a pop up will tell you it's position - in this case 11855171.

Go back to your MTHFR gene at 23andme and look at the position numbers. (These are in numerical order so it's not hard to scroll through - you could do a page search if you preferred when there are a lot of snps)

You'll find at position 11855171 the number i5003529. This is rs267606886. It's worth recording that somewhere because you'll only be able to search 23andme with the i number. Pity they don't include being able to search by position.

If the position number isn't there then we can say 23andme don't have that one

Critterina

23andme doesn't test for this one

For future reference though if you're interested in how to find out:

Firstly go to your Browse Raw Data and search for the gene - in this case MTRR. You can see from the list that comes up that all the snps have an rs number. As the rs number you want isn't there we can say 23andme don't have it on their chip

Sea,
I'm not sure you can say it isn't there. Valentijn put rs and i number in this post http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mthfr-variations.24543/

When I searched for the rs numbers, I didn't find them, but when I searched for the i numbers I did. So I think if you can find the I numbers, you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Critterina

Sea, roxie60
I followed your advice above for the rs2303080 and got i7878424. Of course, I browsed my raw data for i7878424, and it said No SNPs matching 'i7878424' found in the data from your chip.. :p

Sea

Sea,
I'm not sure you can say it isn't there. Valentijn put rs and i number in this post http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/interesting-mthfr-variations.24543/

There are no i numbers in the MTRR gene for the snps listed by 23andme.

When I searched for the rs numbers, I didn't find them, but when I searched for the i numbers I did. So I think if you can find the I numbers, you might be able to find what you're looking for.

Yes you can search for the snp by using the i number IF you know what that number is. Roxie's question was "how do I find the i number?"

Sea

Sea, roxie60
I followed your advice above for the rs2303080 and got i7878424. Of course, I browsed my raw data for i7878424, and it said No SNPs matching 'i7878424' found in the data from your chip.. :p

I'm not quite sure what you did (I'm not at the computer at the moment so I can't follow it through to see where I haven't explained it clearly enough) By following what I wrote you should firstly find a position number not an i number. There is no i number for rs2303080. You will only find an i number if there is a result for the position number in your 23andme results (2nd column)

Critterina

I'm not quite sure what you did (I'm not at the computer at the moment so I can't follow it through to see where I haven't explained it clearly enough) By following what I wrote you should firstly find a position number not an i number. There is no i number for rs2303080. You will only find an i number if there is a result for the position number in your 23andme results (2nd column)
OH, I thought the position number was the i number. How do they relate? Or maybe I should ask "Do they relate?"

Sea

OH, I thought the position number was the i number. How do they relate? Or maybe I should ask "Do they relate?"

The position is the physical location of the snp on the gene. (You will find this recorded in the second column of your results when you search for snps) The rs (reference sequence) is a number assigned to a snp so that researchers can know they're discussing the same thing.

The i is 23andme's own number assigned to a snp when they don't want to give it the rs number. I haven't seen a good explanation of why they do this.

Critterina

Sea,
Thanks for the tutorial! This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm having trouble figuring out on my own. :) You don't know how much time you've save me from what I've learned in this post! :thumbsup: