Our Newly Ill Face Their First Holiday Season with ME/CFS
Don't look now! The holiday season is on its way. I've lived through decades of them with ME/CFS. So have many of you in our chronically ill community. That's beyond sad for all of us. But at least we have some idea what we're contending with, and have learned our ways of handling...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

20mg prednisolone as a rescue remedy?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by parabola, Sep 30, 2018.

1. parabola

parabola

UK
    A week or two ago I came across a post (via a Google search) which I'm sure was here on PR, where a member said that taking 20mg of pred either before or straight after some exertion helped as a rescue remedy to stave off or at least lessen their PEM. Now I can't find any such post for the life of me.

I am interested in a) finding the post and b) whether anyone else has any experience of using steroids in this way?

I know that several years back I felt almost well when I took a course of pred for an autoimmune condition, so I'm thinking this could work well for me. I also did a very short hydrocortisone taper last winter when I caught a virus (20mg downwards) over the course of about a week, and it got me through a very bad cold which hit 'healthies' around me even worse than me.

2. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    I would love to find that thread you are referring to. Was it on here somewhere ? :)

3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

In case anyone wants to read the details about prednisolone taken just before major exertion completely preventing PEM, it's at the bottom of this long post (see the section entitled "Corticosteroids as Potent PEM Shielders").

MastBCrazy, helen1 and parabola like this.
  4. parabola

parabola

UK

It looks like @Hip has found the thread I was looking for, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2018
  5. RUkiddingME

RUkiddingME Senior Member

Canada
    Wow this article is GOLD! thank you!

parabola and Hip like this.

See more popular forum discussions.