• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2018 ME/CFS Research Summary - Rochelle Joslyn

ljimbo423

NEUROLOGY

2018 was a particularly strong year for neuroimaging, with a multitude of studies deploying modern technologies and leveraging sophisticated analysis techniques to assess inflammatory, structural, and functional neurologic abnormalities.

In the absence of access to a patient brain biorepository, researchers have delved deep into the extent to which aberrant activity can be detected through noninvasive techniques and have produced notable results conclusively implicating neurologic dysfunction in ME/CFS disease pathophysiology.

Collectively, the work produced is a remarkable demonstration of altered neurological structure and function in ME/CFS patient brains, which consistently evidences a physiologic basis for patient-reported cognitive impairment and autonomic dysfunction using objective measures.

Zinn, et al. were able to discern differences in neurologic activity by electroencephalogram (EEG), a test that records electrical patterns in the brain.

Nakatomi, et al. observed widespread neuroinflammation associated with symptom severity by positron emission topography (PET) scan.

By functional MRI (fMRI), Boissoneault, et al. and Shan, et al. measured diminished functional connectivity (pattern of interactions between areas of the brain).

Barnden, et al. discovered deficits in neural conduction within the brainstems of CFS (Fukuda) patients, proposing that a compensatory increase in myelin (the “insulation” around neurons) may occur in this region and compromise cerebral function.

Staud, et al. evaluated differences in differences in cerebral blood flow patterns following a cognitive exertion task in ME/CFS subjects compared to healthy controls.

Boissoneault, et al. found cerebral blood flow and heart rate variability (differences in the amount of time between heartbeats) to be inversely correlated with fatigue levels.

Sevel, et al. tested the effectiveness of a machine learning platform in discerning neurologic structural abnormalities in ME/CFS.

Kimura, et al. measured microstructural abnormalities in patient brains by MRI, noting significant decreases in physical neurologic metrics in specific regions relative to healthy controls.

Rowe, et al. identified several ME/CFS patients whose cervical spinal stenosis (compression of the cervical spinal cord) contributed to their symptoms, as indicated by improvement following corrective surgery. The case series highlights the importance of careful neurologic examination of patients for this condition.

Addressing Naviaux’s hypothesis that ME/CFS may involve processes at play in autism and the fact that the two diseases share symptoms of central sensitization (changes to the central nervous system that produce chronic pain) , Bileviciute-Ljungar, et al. measured features of autism in a CFS cohort, but did not observe an elevated rate of autistic traits.

Nilsson, et al. tested a dopamine and serotonin receptor agonist, (−)-OSU6162, in a clinical trial and found correlative but nonsignificant improvements in self-reported fatigue, especially in a subgroup receiving antidepressants.
https://medium.com/@rochellejoslyn/2018-me-cfs-research-summary-9fe3f60b2f48

Wishful

One note caught my eye: 'Mandarano, et al. found slightly reduced diversity in the gut flora and slightly increased fungal species in the intestines of a small ME/CFS cohort.' Did they account for differences in diet and activity? I'm sure that my gut flora is reduced in diversity too, because my diet is now so limited. Maybe some more fungi have moved in due to the dietary-changed bacterial populations.

If all they could find was 'slight changes', I'll take that as evidence that the microbiome isn't a major factor in ME.