• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2 supplement questions (Vitamin E and Sodium Butyrate)

outdamnspot

I thought I would kill two birds with one stone, if that was okay.

I've been trying Vitamin E recently (500IU, d-alpha natural form). I tried the mixed tocopherols and felt quite revved up and aggravated on it, and I'm beginning to wonder if the d-alpha is doing the same thing. I generally hear Vitamin E is mood stabilizing and good for sleep, so was wondering if anyone had experienced a negative reaction? Strangely, I felt fine on a synthetic d-alpha .. maybe it was just more poorly absorbed and I need less?

Secondly, has anyone here had much experience with Sodium Butyrate? I was using resistant starch and doing very well on it, but it started to destabilize my blood sugar levels quite badly. I stopped it two days ago and am still actually very hungry and jittery all the time, so am hoping it hasn't messed things up. I ordered some Body-Bio Sodium Butyrate, hoping I could get similar effects on sleep and anxiety, but have also done some precursory googling and noticed that it seems to lower blood sugar, though I'm not sure if this will be apparent at the 600mg dose. Did anyone with hypoglycemia have an adverse reaction to the Butyrate? Like I say .. since my blood sugar levels still seem to be a little low, I don't want to start the Butyrate (which arrived today) and then get confused as to what it's doing.

I also have some chromium picolinate arriving soon, since I was hoping maybe it would allow me to tolerate the starch or butyrate.

outdamnspot

oh, and FWIW, the only other supplement I take semi-regularly is Niacin (about 250-750mg a day), so wasn't sure if that was contributing to blood sugar issues