August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

1990 NYT Article: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Finally Gets Some Respect

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kati, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Finally Gets Some Respect

By LAWRENCE K. ALTMAN
    Published: December 4, 1990

AFTER years of dismissing chronic fatigue syndrome as yuppie hypochondria and little more than a figment of the imagination, doctors in growing numbers are coming to believe that it is a distinct condition and one that may reflect an overcharged immune system.

But just what agent may be switching the immune system into overdrive is still an enigma. Scientists around the world who are seeking to solve the mystery say infectious organisms and chemicals are their prime suspects. But before they can clinch the case they are trying first to develop a reliable test to distinguish the syndrome from the many other conditions with which it is easily confused.

Marking the seriousness with which the illness is now taken, the Federal epidemiological agency, the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, has started an investigation that officials say is more comprehensive than those the agency initially carried out for AIDS.

Although the new research is providing some tantalizing clues, experts like Dr. Stephen E. Straus, chief of medical virology at the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Bethesda, Md., cautioned that the clues could join a list of leads that evaporated after more extensive research.

Read the full article at the link above

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Can I say that this implies the initial CDC investigation into AIDS was seriously pathetic?

halcyon, Hutan, BurnA and 1 other person like this.

See more popular forum discussions.