• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

12 Things You Should Never Say to Someone with a Chronic Health Condition

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
This is almost a year old, and I am not sure if its been posted before, but I thought it hit the nail on the head. I think Ive had all of these said to me, except for the skin condition one below.

8. “I know exactly how it feels to have a severe skin condition; I have my eyebrows waxed monthly.”
Writer, speaker, and activist Carly Findlay is living with ichthyosis, a skin condition that affects her appearance and that can be painful. On her blog, she has posted a long list of shouldn’t-have-said-that comments strangers have made—including the doozy above.

Unless you really, really, really know exactly how someone feels, don’t say you do. Instead, ask, “How are you?”—and open yourself up to hearing the answer.

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/ms-12-things-not-to-say-022814#2

barbc56

Wow! I think I have heard every single one of these. Now I need an article on how to respond without my blood pressure going sky high.

Yes, eyebrow waxing is indeed painful.:D

Thanks @RustyJ
Barb

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I don't have a problem with ...
4. “I’m sorry.”
Funerals are not the only place the condolences are appropriate.

taniaaust1

I got one which cut said to me by my nanna this week when I was asking for "necessary" accomendations for my illness and disability

"Dont be so selfish, think of your family."

That "Im sorry" one wouldnt bother me, "You're so brave" doesnt bother me either thou I dont resonate to it at all.

The ones on that list which bother me the most when I get them from people are "It could be worst" and "I get tired too" (so a different way of saying "I know exactly what that feels like when you tell someone you have ME/CFS.. and unfortunately I find this one very common.).

I get the "You are looking better" or "You are looking great" one often from nanna. I dont like that at all but cause she's the only person I usually get that one from, it doesnt bother me as much.