Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

1/3 of U.S. adults may use medications that can cause depression

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Mary, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
  2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Wow! - that would go a long way towards explaining the 30% rise in suicides since 2000.

3. Mary

Southern California
    I think that and the opioid epidemic -- I read with opioids they're never sure if the overdose was intentional or not, though I'm guessing most often not.

4. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    And opioids are another med that can cause depression (just looked it up).

5. RWP (Rest without Peace)

RWP (Rest without Peace) Senior Member

@Mary @caledonia

Among other reasons, this study demonstrates why it is preferable to be on as few prescriptions as possible and to substitute, when available, natural alternatives. Of course, patients either have to research these alternatives themselves or seek a professional in that field.

RWP

6. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    cause and effect they are not that easy to separate after all a great many people take medications to deal with chronic pain and other distressing symptoms you cannot assume any depression or accidental overdose is a direct effect of the medication.

Dolphin and TenuousGrip like this.
  7. Mary

Southern California
    I totally agree that cause and effect are not that easy to determine, and that you can't assume what is a direct effect of medication. But I think it's very important to be aware of the possible effects of medication, which many people are not, and doctors in general are not very well-educated re side effects. A study some years ago showed that a majority of doctors discounted or ignored patients' accounts of bad reactions to drugs.

8. geraldt52

geraldt52 Senior Member

Indeed. Even if they believe the patient, which isn't a given, few doctors can be bothered to report side effects that their patients report. Then they cite the fact that there are few reported side effects as a reason to disbelieve a report of a side effect. The perfect circular argument, which especially pleases the manufacturers, who rely on the doctors, and reward them, to keep handing the stuff out. Works with adverse vaccine reactions too...

9. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    I seemed to have developed depression after taking fludrocortisone for POTS, after stopping it, it improved considerably but didn't disappear, which doesn't surprise me, as depression is both physical and psychological in nature

See more popular forum discussions.