• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$1,000,000 donation to OMF!!!!!

boolybooly

Thanks Pine, this means a lot to a lot of people, myself included.

I salute your logic, live long and prosper :)
raised-hand-with-part-between-middle-and-ring-fingers_1f596.png

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Wow! Here is my comment on Reddit:

JanetDafoe

19m
Thank you from the bottom of my heart! My husband, Ron Davis, is so excited to hear about this this morning. Linda Tannenbaum texted us the news. Ron is already, right now, sitting in his favorite chair thinking and planning how to use this wonderful donation the most strategically to speed up the research and get answers faster. This will make a huge difference. I wish I could tell our son Whitney about it, but I can't because he can't tolerate speech, or any noise or interaction. He can't speak or eat. He would be so excited and grateful. When he gets better, you can be sure we'll tell him about your generous contribution.

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Ron says: "Thank you to all the people who made this possible! I have a number of ideas for how we can use this to speed up the research and I am going to talk to the team on Tuesday to strategize and get everybody's ideas before we announce anything. I'm very excited! Funding is the major thing that limits our progress and this donation will be a tremendous help. We have a lot of ideas and we need to prioritize them. It's great to be able to think about what we can do next knowing that we will be able to do it."

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
It is hard to take this in! A million thanks to everyone involved. It is strange--we are so used to not having hope on the horizon that when something fantastic like this actually comes through, it is hard to find a place in our heads to place it! Right now I'm pumping light into the dim area of my brain that had been reserved for hope. :thumbsup::balloons::trophy::beer::)

It is hard to take this in! A million thanks to everyone involved. It is strange--we are so used to not having hope on the horizon that when something fantastic like this actually comes through, it is hard to find a place in our heads to place it! Right now I'm pumping light into the dim area of my brain that had been reserved for hope. :thumbsup::balloons::trophy::beer::)

This is just how I feel @Sushi. I've been struggling lately to maintain hope based on my own health issues, but this donation combined with the success of the Unrest film has been such a boost in morale!

I'm so greatful to everyone who has helped in these efforts. I know most of you are worn out from being sick or being caregivers. The people who push through and do advocacy work despite that are my heroes. :)

NotThisGuy

Very great news

So terrific.

(Will OMF converts it to cash ASAP? Bitcoin is super volatile (fell nearly 7% just in the last 12 hours). It'd be awful to suffer any losses.)

yeah but it raises as fast as it falls.
Imho it would be the best if they would just wait 6 months before the cash out the bitcoins when one bitcoin will be worth arround 40k$.

MEPatient345

Posted on Reddit thread by Pine in response to a question about his decision to choose OMF:

“I had known about ME/CFS for a while, and I know it is a serious condition without much in way of treatment or research. I've recently received letters of support from esteemed academics in the field strongly supporting OMF, and that helped me make the decision!”

Presume the referrals that swung the needle organized by the stellar fundraising team at OMF..

If it’s in Bitcoin there may be issues withdrawing from Coinbase. Coinbase typically has a max withdrawal of 10k per withdraw. This may impose some hurdles.

NotThisGuy

If it’s in Bitcoin there may be issues withdrawing from Coinbase. Coinbase typically has a max withdrawal of 10k per withdraw. This may impose some hurdles.

It won't be any problem. There are lots of other exchanges without such limits.
The money is there without a doubt.

NotThisGuy

The vast majority of exchanges only deal in crypto, so you can’t exchange BTC to fiat.
so...?

They are still enough exchanges where you can trade btc into fiat. It won't be any problem for OMF to get their money.

dont want to drag this into a bitcoin thread. Just use google and you could have figured it out by yourself.