• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

You Cool with Stool? -- Need help with CDSA Results

Hi all, Just got results from Genova Diagnostics CDSA . Beta-Glucuronidase - High Long Chain Fatty Acids - High Phospholipids - High Fecal Fat - High Saw B-Glucuronidase is produced by E. Coli, anerobic Bacterioids and Clostridia in intestines High amounts linked to colon cancer and...
  2. J

Lesson Learned: SNPs and NutrEval

Had my 23andMe done and like most, was concerned with the array of SNPs that were homozygous and heterozygous and what that my mean for my health. Am homozygous for MTHR 1298C and heterozygous for CBS C699T plus several MTRRs, NOS3 and SOD2. Was sure that my Sulfate and Ammonia would be high...
  3. J

CBS success!

Looking at CBS / Transsulfuration pathway, I see that Cysteine and KG (p.s. - what is KG?) break down into Taurine Sulfite and Glutathione. When upregulated, there is greater production. My question is, if there is a greater production of Taurine and Sulfite, why is there also not a greater...
  4. J

My VDR is blinking "+/+" -- What Can I Do to Fix It?

Don't know about them mentioning lecithin. The link above covers more than just VDR taq. It give a great breakdown on the most important SNPs, their effect and how to compensate for them. Would love to hear from anyone with more info on VDR
  5. J

My VDR is blinking "+/+" -- What Can I Do to Fix It?

Yes, I'm VDR Taq Homozygous. There's some interesting info on this SNP at the link below: http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#VDR%20Taq:%20%20Vitamin%20D%20Receptor%20Taq%20Abnormality Apparently this Vitamin D Receptor abnormality results in Lower Vitamin D levels and...
  6. J

CBS success!

How do you determine if your gene is dominant or recessive?
  7. J

CBS success!

Got this description from a genetic site: What is the difference between homozygous and heterozygous? Humans contain two copies of each gene, one from the father and one from the mother, which sometimes are referred to as the alleles of a gene. If a mutation occurs in just one copy of the gene...
  8. J

CBS success!

So what you're saying is homozygous and heterozygous are only levels of potentiality of having the gene expression. Homo is 100% expression and Hetro is 50/50 or if not that percentage, maybe / maybe not. Does that mean that if hetero and the gene mutation is expressed that it's just as bad and...
  9. J

CBS success!

As I mentioned, it was in '97 so I can't really recall specific symptoms other than a strange pressure in my head and ataxia. Oddly, a year and a half ago I had a bad stomach virus and had the recurring sensation in my head and ataxia once more. I don't have CFS. I have a pins and needles...
  10. J

Filling the Holes in 23andMe: Test Suggestions

Is there any lab that can just do SUOX and NOS -- the important missing elements cheaper than the Yasko test?
  11. J

Any suggestions on how to find if you have any SNPs that are highlighted with genetic genie? Any way to tell just by looking through the genome.txt file downloaded from 23andMe? I can't believe 23andMe doesn't have there own detailed analysis built into the site.
  12. J

CBS success!

I, too was in India. It was back in '97 and I did have a weird episode of feeling foggy and dizzy when I got back. Wonder if parasites were involved and if they could still be lingering this long after?
  13. J

CBS success!

I'm CBS C699T HTZ. Wondering if there's any what to quantify the difference between HTZ and HMZ with C99T. Is HTZ half as bad as HTZ? 1/4? 3/4? Anyway, Haven't tested ammonia but my Quantofix Sulate Strips test at about 1200. Using Yucca with each meal and want to use charcoal more but...
  14. J

CBS success!

Yes, I'd like to know more about your experience with charcoal flushes. Yasko seems to say take one or two capsules of charcoal once a week. It's true I do tend to over do things a bit with new protocols but one or two once a week doesn't sound like it's often enough to take care of ammonia...
  15. J

Saponins: Friend or Foe?

I would believe that improved intestinal absorption sounds good as more nutrients can be used for the body. Leaky gut I think is an independent issue from intestinal absorption. Perhaps saponins may go into the blood stream with a leaky gut. Wish there were more definitive answers regarding...
  16. J

Got my 23andMe results and ran them through GeneticGenie. Noticed a few missing SNPs in the 23andMe test: VDR Fok-I not found n/a n/a MTRR S257T not found n/a n/a MTRR S257T not found n/a n/a SUOX S370S not found n/a n/a NOS3 D298E not found n/a n/a Of particular interest to me are the SUOX...
  17. J

Saponins: Friend or Foe?

Many here are taking Yucca for ammonia elimination and/or Quinoa for health benefits and getting certain nutrients lost by not eating other foods due to high sulfur or ammonia components. Both of these foods have saponins in them. I've read there are a variety of saponins so I guess the first...
  18. J

Urea Cycle: It's a real Pisser - Ammonia, Arginine, Ornithine, Citrulline.

Also, I've notice that after many blood tests each time my BUN level is pretty high. That's a measure of Nitrogen in the urine. As there is nitrogen in ammonia (NH3) I wonder if this high BUN level is connected to high ammonia.
  19. J

I know Yucca Schidigera is the one to get, but not sure. Got mine at Whole Foods. Perhaps next time I'm there I can see if someone knowledgeable can tell me. I will say that my urine is noticeably less pungent so I think the ammonia is being bound by the yucca. Xjhuez mentions a 490mg...
  20. J

How much Yucca do you take and how often? I don't have pills or extract --just bought a root and eat a slice or two with each meal. Tastes a bit like coconut to me. Curious as to what you feel an effective amount would be and if you've had any reaction to eating too much?
  21. J

Also read it may be just certain Saponins as there are various types. I guess I'm more concerned with Yucca and perhaps Quinoa saponins.
  22. J

Haven't blood tested for ammonia yet but will shortly. Was on a lot of supplements and my Dr want me to stop and clear out so he can see results in a natural state. Question on Yucca for those who have been on it a long time: Obviously, I would want to take it to lower ammonia but I was...
  23. J

I'm MTHFR A1298C HMZ and CBS C699T HTZ so I am concerned about ammonia. I haven't tried Yucca pills or extracts but did just buy a root at Whole Foods. How much of the actual root do you think one would have to eat per meal to be equivalent to a pill of extract form of Yucca?
  24. J

CBS Protocol

I imagine those percentages are updated as more data comes in. If you check the link you provided, the current percentage for America and for All is 22%, 32% in Europe.
  25. J

CBS Protocol

Just got my 23andMe back and I'm CBS C699T HTZ. I know it's hard for anyone to quantify the difference between HTZ and HMZ other than HMZ is worse. Does anyone have any idea of the difference in effect on up-reg of the transsulfuration pathway, cysteine levels and other factors between these...
  26. J

X-Men Mutant Protocols: A1298C Homozygous

Question for anyone with, or knowledge of MTHFR 1298C HMZ issues: I know that Aluminum blocks BH4 synthesis. Have a water test done and it notes acceptable limits of <50 ppb. I got a reading of 18 ppb. The question is, though this may be acceptable for the average person, is 18 ppb enough to...
  27. J

Earthing....Your experience....

Ordered an earthing pad for my deskwork at the computer from Groundology in the UK. However, while I'm waiting, I've invented my own poor man's grounding pad. Go to the supermarket and buy some ChoreBoy copper scouring pads. Strip some electrical wire at both ends and attach to 2 pads. Then...
  28. J

Best Type of Selenium for Glutathione, Mercury (Pros and Cons)

Forget Selenium supplements! Eat a few Brazil Nuts. 542mcg per oz. Two or Three should do ya. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3091/2
  29. J

Glycerol Phenylbutyrate approved for treatment of excessive ammonia. Notice something in that drugs name? Butyrate! Butter up those veggies and bump the Buty...
  30. J

X-Men Mutant Protocols: A1298C Homozygous

Anyone know of studies done that link A1298C-Ho to low BH4? Very hard to get my MDs to investigate without proof of the connection.