• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. T

Elevated B12, but normal MMA and very low homocysteine?

Oohhh, really? I thought that as long as MMA was not elevated that B12 was fine. Huh. I'll have to do some further digging around. Thanks!
  2. T

Yah, I read one person's account, maybe it was on this site... and she said that her B12 was slightly high and her doctor said it is just like height--some people are 6'5'' and some people are 5'6''.. so in his mind some people have average B12 and some have high. Ha. I laughed out loud. So...
  3. T

Anyone had the above combo? I am so tired of chasing around this B12 ghost. I have exhausted just about all the tests, but still my B12 is moderately out of range, around 1300, but MMA is within range 174 with upper range being 376. Also urine homocysteine showed it extremely low. I don't...
  4. T

Here we go again.. down the rabbit hole

Oh, and my MCV is always in normal range. It is my MPV (platelet volume) that is often high, indicating that for some reason I am often making new platelets. Who knows.
  5. T

Yah, I experimented with some different brands and they absorb just fine as far as I can tell. That's the whole issue though.. aside from that 3 month episode last year that started in October, I have been symptom free whether or not I religiously take the supplements or not. So, it causes me to...
  6. T

So, I don't want to repost a long list of history... I posted frequently here in the early part of the year when I was trying to figure some things out. Briefly, Last year around Oct I had numbness and tingling, had B12 tested and it was about 200 points high. My doctor of course told me to stop...
  7. T

Yasko??

Hard to say. Not sure if my system is overeager or not. I was rarely sick as a child/teenager either. I went through the normal years of tons of ear infections, but then after that I almost never got to miss school for illnesses. I suppose my immune system has always been robust... maybe it is...
  8. T

Yasko??

I mean, sick, yes in the normal sense. I don't get sick in the abnormal sense either, ha. I don't have CFS so I'm not really that familiar. I am simply saying that the last time I was sick (outside of shingles) was about 4-5 years ago. Got some crazy 24 hour flu bug, had a 104 fever, chills...
  9. T

Yasko??

Which is the kicker. Aside from getting shingles last year I am never sick. Never. It is annoying really.. how many of my states and issues don't actually correlate to my physical being.
  10. T

Yasko??

Wowzers. The doc thinks that inflammation of the gut and dysbiosis (which in my mind are generally hand in hand) causing the proteins to not break down well into their component parts and therefore I showed low with a lot of aminos. The only high measure of value was Taurine. Who knows. It is a...
  11. T

Yasko??

Huh, well, I spoke briefly to my functional med guy and he doesn't agree with Yasko's recs. He said that bc I show low in many aminos, and high really only in Taurine that it is likely a gut issue due to inflammation or stress. He recommended just taking an Amino supp and seeing if that works...
  12. T

Yasko??

Huh. I called my functional med doctor to the table. This is all too much for me to sort out.. so we will see what he has to say and I will keep you posted. Thanks for all the ideas!
  13. T

Yasko??

Ok, and why would Taurine be wasting? I did read that when one with CBS mutations puts the methylation steps in place; starts taking active b12, folate, etc and the pathways get ignited that could cause elevated Taurine. I do have +/- for one of the CBS markers. This could be the case, but alas...
  14. T

Yasko??

I recently took the UAA and posted the results here, but didn't receive a response. I also posted some questions on the Yasko forum to the tune of... what do I do? And I'll tell ya, I have gotten some wild responses. Basically, the issue is that I have high Taurine (but not high ammonia) and...
  15. T

Nerve tingles - are they caused by methylation healing?

Yah, I have been trying to figure this out as well. It is pretty touch and go. I had been pretty steady with the 800 methylfolate and 1000 methyl b12.. this caused some start-up which was mostly fatigue and ickiness. I assumed it was potassium and upped that, taking like 200 mg every couple of...
  16. T

UAA test interpretation help?

Hey all, In my quest to get to the bottom of this madness I took the UAA and have gotten my results. Yasko put some comments in the margins, but mostly just recommended supplements. I am hoping someone can shed some light. Anyone taken it or can point me to a resource here. I searched for UAA...
  17. T

Constant tingling.. Maybe it is not Potassium deficiency?

I sure don't. I had them tested back in November when I started this whole ordeal. At the time it tested high in the absence of supplementing. That is what led me to be further diagnosed as having a functional deficiency. It seems silly to test B12 when you are actively supplementing. It will...
  18. T

@ Crux Yah, it seems that it is indicative of some sort of nutrient deficiency. It is just a matter of trying to figure out which one! I try to balance my Zinc/Copper, but it is a little difficult to be sure you're achieving that without testing. I eat a fair amount of liver and dark chocolate...
  19. T

Hi there Red, Just thought I would give an update since you have been so kind with your thoughts with a lot of my questions. I caved and got a serum Potassium test, came back at 4.2 with lab range 3.5-5.2. Now that is with tracking potassium in Fitday and aiming for 4000 mg from food and...
  20. T

The B12/Folate viral connection.

I generally agree with that, but I just can't figure out why I NEVER get sick. I got Shingles a few months ago.. and just found out that I have one of the many forms of HPV, but other than that I do not get sick. Never. Not even a sniffle. I haven't been sick in over 4 years and that was a 24...
  21. T

Is methyl protocol forever?

Hi there, I replied a bit below with my story... as I don't have CFS, but do have some viral issues. Additionally I am also compound hetero for MTHFR C66 and the other one that matters that I am currently mind-blanking. So, what tests are you suggesting be done in order to track progress?
  22. T

That article was interesting, thanks. Here is another specific paper showing a link between b12/folate deficiency and proliferation of HPV16 (the kind that leads to cervical cancer). http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2012/02/17/jbc.M111.317040
  23. T

Is methyl protocol forever?

I see. I guess I should mention that I don't have CFS. I found this site when I was searching for information on methylation and am extremely happy I did! I have the 2 MTHFRs that matter, compound hetero. I am also apparently prone to viral infections which I have mentioned in a few other posts...
  24. T

Hi thanks for your thoughts. My TSH has fallen between 1.0-1.4 for the past 3 years... so I don't think that's the problem.
  25. T

Well, you could look at it that way. But to me it reiterates that there is some sort of viral connection to b12/folate deficiency. In the study the folate/b12 sufficiency was correlated with cancer reduction.
  26. T

Interesting, thanks for sharing. It seems to me like the B12/viral thing is so deeply connected. I have a sense that the broken methyl cycle leaves us especially prone to viral infections. I just posted a new thread about the b12/folate deficiency and viral connection as I just learned that I...
  27. T

So, another poster on here mentioned the connection between B12 and shingles. I hadn't previously put those two things together, but the mention of it opened my eyes a bit. It seems the methyl cycle is largely intertwined with viral immunity. Fast forward a few days and I got a call from my Gyno...
  28. T

I am going to break down and get a potassium serum test tomorrow. They're only $29 through direct labs. Hopefully it can shed some light. Though Fredd claims that deficiency can occur with pretty high serum levels.. so maybe it will just confuse the issue further, but at least I'll have a point...
  29. T

If I may, how did you get here? Was that your first symptom? Did it just start suddenly? Do you have ME/CFS? I am always curious to know how people present and what steps they take before they reach diagnosis or solution. I was a vegetarian/vegan and super-duper partier for 15+ years. I can't...
  30. T

Yah, I suppose at this point anything is possible. I do supp Magnesium and have for about 2 years just because I think everyone is deficient. I generally take 200-400 mg chelate/day. And I try my hardest to get the most nutrient density of foods.. My SNPs are: MTRR A66G +/-, MTRR A664A +/-...