• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

Evidence based supplement efficacy visualisation

Watching some TED talks I discovered this visualisation project mentioned during a presentation by David McCandless on data visualization, representing at-a-glance the scientific evidence of efficacy versus popularity of many supplements ...
  2. J

"So you're really faking it?!"

A person is the sum of the parts which make up their body and has the choice to act according to the constraints and capabilities of those parts. Capabilities which may include denying all of the preceding.
  3. J

Your mind is a part of your body, just like every other part.
  4. J

But you wouldn't. If you had his body, you'd then be him, as he is now. Meaning you'd be doing exactly as he is, now.
  5. J

Homeopathy

Just found this short video of Ben Goldacre at Nerdstock talking about placebos : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Q3jZw4FGs
  6. J

List your 3 favorite supplements

Acetyl L Carnitine / Alpha lipoic acid Transdermal magnesium chloride B12 - Adenosyl over methyl, yet to try hydroxy Omega 3-6-9 Teitelbaum's Fatigued to fantastic multivitamin
  7. J

Dr Myhill wins back her licence to practise

Good news for someone with the integrity she has and all that support her.
  8. J

Light therapy

Has anyone tried any type of sun lamp? I'm considering what to add to : Fatigued to fantastic vitamin mineral supplement Sublingual Methyl/Adenosyl B12 Transdermal magnesium Pure coconut oil daily FIR sauna Whey protein powder Low carb/high protein diet, which constitutes my current regimen...
  9. J

Alcohol Tolerance Poll

Alcohol quite often brings on pain in my legs, and/or a restless, agitated feeling, not entirely dissimilar to a mild opiate withdrawal.
  10. J

Sauna

Getting an FIR sauna is one of the best decisions I've made regarding the affect is has on my general well-being. I'd been to a public steam sauna a couple of times in the past, which were immensely relaxing, so I had confidence in the real-world affect of the far infra-red type living up to all...
  11. J

B-12 - The Hidden Story

It's not prescription in the UK, and the only effects I've read about so far are : it sounds promising in treating depression, and that it plays a role in the methylation cycle. I've certainly not noticed any adverse affects after taking it daily for 3 weeks, but I'm not sure I'm actually...
  12. J

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Thanks Fredd, that's interesting. I was using N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine for a short period prior to starting the full protocol with B12 and other cofactors, and didn't notice the smell then. So I'd personally put it down to something else. I will try the L-Carnitine fumarate instead next as it seems...
  13. J

B-12 - The Hidden Story

I've been producing swamp-smelling urine since I began Fredd's protocol. I read him mention it, but is it the result of some sort of detox, or just one of the supplements itself that causes it?
  14. J

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Does anyone know if it's okay to take regular (denatured) whey protein? The kind I've got lists "L-Glutamic Acid" as an ingredient...
  15. J

B-12 - The Shorter Story?

I think it's basically the simplified methylation block lifting protocol that we're talking about here. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  16. J

Klonopin

I've read lots of usage reports on DPH at "recreational" dosages (yes, some people use it for fun, at 100mg-800mg generally) and most who have used it despise the stuff, especially those who have experienced higher doses. The downsides are generally listed as being : restless legs, memory loss...
  17. J

Klonopin

Yep, that's entirely true - I've edited my post accordingly.
  18. J

The Salt Poll

I've always liked salt, more so than most I would say, so chose the first option. The results probably don't say too much in relation to our condition however, as I'd fully expect to see the very same results amongst the general population. On the subject of salt, there is the Recuperat-ion...
  19. J

Klonopin

There are loose similarities for some... i.e. calming, anxiolytic effects, memory difficulties at higher doses, but their method of action is entirely different. I don't have enough experience with Klonopin to give an in-depth differencial, but can say it's far less "harsh". As dosage of...
  20. J

Proteins of the XMRV retrovirus Christopher Carter

Chris Carter? Isn't that the guy that wrote the X-Files? The truth is out there! :Retro smile: Seriously though, this is amazing. I was just wondering the other day how NMDA antagonists could possibly abate my symptoms to such a huge degree if a virus was the root pathology. This paper...
  21. J

Goldpharma and Immunovir

I've not read anything to suggest a risk involved in taking them. And with certain foods and herbs being anti-virals (ginger, curcumin) and immunostimulants (echinacea, ginseng) I think if there was a risk it would be well documented...
  22. J

Goldpharma and Immunovir

I received isoprinosine from them only last week. Is it real? Well, given that : I've only been taking it for 9 days I believe one needs to use it for a considerable time (possibly months) for it to have an effect I haven't noticed any effects whatsoever so far I'm not sure if I should...
  23. J

The Glutamate Blocker Namenda

DXM isn't the problem there, it's the other ingredients in some cough syrups that can be fatal. The most infamous one being Coricidin. DXM is pretty safe, and in fact I've never read of any fatalities when used alone. I'd imagine a massive dose would simply put you into a coma for few days...
  24. J

I've had what I believe is CFS (my primary symptom is a full-body overwhelming fatigue/exhaustion/aching which limits me physically and mentally to roughly 30% of normal activity) since around 1997, with much of the time since then also filled with fairly severe depression / anxiety as well for...
  25. J

I've looked at this drug before due to positive experiences with the NMDA blockers ketamine and dextromethorphan. Something with a similar mode of action but without the undesirable psychological effects would be very useful indeed.