• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. S

In Memory of Bob: A tribute from his friends

RIP, Bob. You earned it as much as anybody in this crazy fucked-up world.
  2. S

Pineapple fund--donation to OMF increased to $5 million!

Thank you, Pineapple Fund. :) :hug: :heart:
  3. S

Case for BioPsychoSocio Cause of CFS

That is one hell of a leap of logic.
  4. S

Crawley lied: No harassment reports (Bristol University)

I think the possibility of greatly exaggerated or completely fabricated allegations is more than small, and has almost certainly been happening since very early on in the alleged harassment/threats saga.
  5. S

Crawley has forfeited any right to complain.
  6. S

STUDY: Did you have your wisdom teeth removed?

All four out since getting ME. No regrets or complications. They were just causing trouble. But protect the rest of your teeth as best you can.
  7. S

Is it okay for Jews, blacks, gays, etc, to be slandered as a group?
  8. S

If your doctor is clueless, direct them to the BMJ's Best Practice Summary for ME

Point taken. I still have not read the full version.
  9. S

If your doctor is clueless, direct them to the BMJ's Best Practice Summary for ME

True. But these guidelines give patients a lot more grounds to decline, and to remind the Dr to first do no harm.
  10. S

Without having read the full text, and also noting Alex's caution, nonetheless I can't see much in the summary for the psychs to be pleased with. At the very least they are clearly not front and centre of the show anymore. Which is a big step forward for us, especially considering that it is...
  11. S

Dr Phil Hammond talks to Jen Brea about Unrest this morning on Radio Bristol

Me neither. They got nothing on objective measures, results on subjective measures that are marginal at best and of no practical benefit, and no correlations between objective and subjective measures. In short, they got nothing. And the "definitive" PACE confirmed it.
  12. S

Can positivity cure any disease? (blogpost)

And they know it. The double standard is almost unbelievable. But there it is, blatant, shameless, unrelenting, and very disturbing.
  13. S

Can positivity cure any disease? (blogpost)

Denying reality is never a viable long term strategy.
  14. S

Closing time?

15. S

Closing Update

I am saving the Links thread, just in case. But that is all.
  16. S

Closing Update

Management issues at PR and the looming consequences have modified the schedule and my time on PR is coming to an end. Soon as a new forum is up and running, I am out. Apart from any other reason, I will not be associated with any group that demands time and respect for fucking woo. That will...
  17. S

Mass hysteria may explain 'sonic attacks' in Cuba, say top neurologists

These clowns are a plague upon humanity.
  18. S

"Got ME? Just SMILE!" - Media coverage of the SMILE trial…..

I ain't letting that paper anywhere near any of my precious bodily orifices. Never know where its been. I would describe it as straight corruption of the scientific process. It is both an intellectual and moral failure.
  19. S

Tetanus shot side effects related to CFS/ME?

Should add that I don't regret getting my tetanus booster. It is the only vaccine I keep updated.
  20. S

Defining and measuring recovery from ME & chronic fatigue syndrome: the physician perspective

That line from Crawley is more than a little disturbing. Children never say they want surgery either. But they still need it sometimes.
  21. S

Why We Find And Expose Bad Science (food science)

The likes of Wessely and Crawley inevitably made it about themselves by refusing to take heed of their critics. That means the problem is also them, not just their ideas.
  22. S

Why We Find And Expose Bad Science (food science)

It's déjà vu all over again.
  23. S

Research Check: can ‘Lightning Process’ coaching program help youths with chronic fatigue?

There is another huge underlying and very problematic assumption in the 'C' part: that the therapist can reliably classify thoughts into good and bad, that they have some grand sweeping insight and understanding of the human condition that grants them the power to safely judge the meaning and...
  24. S

Tetanus shot side effects related to CFS/ME?

I recently had a tetanus booster, and I was noticeably worse for the following 2-3 days.
  25. S

Factor analysis of unexplained severe fatigue and interrelated symptoms: overlap w/ criteria for CFS

I suspect this is true for a lot of ME patients as well. The sudden v. gradual onset always seemed to me more an artifact of poor methodology than a distinct feature.
  26. S

Cosmopolitan: Millions of Women Suffer From a Disease That Virtually Sucks the Life Out of Them

Suzanne O'Sullivan, with her book 'It's All in My Head'. :whistle:
  27. S

More from Science Medica Centre on SMILE

I think we have some leads. A thorough assessment of PEM on as many different physiological measures as possible is where I would start. I am pretty sure that what is lacking is not the basic technical means to measure the pathology, but the lack of a conceptual basis to target those...
  28. S

BPSers using new research to justify psychological treatments

That % keeps going up. Pretty soon it will everybody.