• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. blazes

Dr. Juan Bahamon and Dr. Mendizabal, Neurologists, in Corpus Christi Tx

All I can say is if you want a doctor to make you feel like you're more insane than you already feel at some points in your day then, please, go see these guys. I was sent to Dr. Mendizabal because I have POTS now. My BP is going so low that I am now going into some sort of convulsions. He...
  2. blazes

Got My Disability Hearing Results

FULLY FAVORABLE!!!! I NEARLY FELL ON THE FLOOR!!! I now have an appointment with SS office for SSI (they have that in Texas as a supplement to SSD but only for a little bit is my understanding). Thank you so much for listening to my whine and moan and whimper about worrying and anxiety...
  3. blazes

Disbelieving Siblings

Thank you everybody! You're all right. I guess I just needed to hear someone else say that I needed to let go of people who don't support or believe me. I do it in every other aspect of my life. I guess I just wanted to hear someone else tell me that they have had to give up trying to teach...
  4. blazes

Disbelieving Siblings

Oh Thank you everybody! Your kind words and advice has helped so much. I've really just accepted the fact that they don't believe I'm sick but there are some days that it just rubs me the wrong way......ok...maybe that's not totally the truth. I've been trying to "be their sister" my entire...
  5. blazes

Disbelieving Siblings

Hi Well, I just have to vent a little bit. I know its something that you have all gone through and something that you have all heard before. I have always been open about my illness. I'll answer your questions. If you want to know what's going on with me, ask. We were at a function for my...
  6. blazes

What kind of bed do you have?

Was going to look at a Sleep Number bed with the pillow top. I just don't want to spend a ton of money and hate it after a while. Plus....I have such hot flashes at night that anything that resembles a Tempurpedic is out of the question. Thanks for the input! Kimberly
  7. blazes

What kind of bed do you have?

I have noticed that if I have a headache or am just not feeling well I can go get in the tub full of water and relax. So I know my bed is in need of replacing. Question is.....what do I get? What are your experiences?
  8. blazes

Disability Hearing yesterday

Whew!!!! That's some intense 30 minutes! According to my attorney though, I won my case!! Now we just have to wait for the formal letter. Thank you to everybody here that followed me.during my anxiety attacks!!! Kimberly
  9. blazes

energy-saving hygiene habits (or lack thereof)

Hi everybody! This topic is near & dear to my heart....I'm so glad someone brought up brushing their teeth! Not only do I not have the energy but toothpaste now burns my mouth. I can only use a tiny bit and not every day. I wear the same clothes days in a row. I don't go anywhere. It's too...
  10. blazes

I'm freaking out! Juat a little anxiety.....

The light bulb goes on!!! Kurt! Can I just say that is exactly what I needed to know and didn't know how to ask for it! I was so unaware of what the process or ....lack of words here.....that I was spinning out of control. Victoria & many others have also given me some very good advice to...
  11. blazes

"So you're really faking it?!"

I recently found out that my sister told a coworker that I didn't do anything all day and just free-loaded off of my mother. My daughter also works there. When this woman hinted about me just being a lazy good for nothing....my daughter set her straight. So we not only get the smirk and smart...
  12. blazes

I have to apologize I am truly sorry for my "outburst". It had been building up for about a week and I had been asking questions and trying to do research on my dinosaur of a computer. I am logging in now on my cell phone, which likes to auto-correct me inappropriately by the way. I...
  13. blazes

thanks Just thought I would say thanks for the support. I see several people read the post but nobody had anything to say? Not a "hang in there"? Nothing.....its been a while since I have posted on here. It might be a while before I come back.
  14. blazes

ok.....it might not be the exact spot for this topic but I really needed someone to see it sooner than later as my anxiety level is rising daily....along with my blood pressure. I got my SA disability hearing date. It's March 24. I do have an attorney. I have an appointment with her a week...
  15. blazes

Did we do something to deserve this disease? Sin? Karma?

Victoria, That is one of the points that I was trying to make in a post prior to this post that I started - (bear with me....brain fog is hitting me pretty hard today). I love the way you see your illness as a way to see the world and see other people. That's what I'm trying to do with mine...
  16. blazes

fingernail changes

My nails are extremely "ridgy." One of my thumb nails even splits all the way into my nail bed. When I am able to grow my nails out (they're usually peeling and "ridgy"), they ridges form peaks on the free edges. If I can get a good picture, I'll try to post one on here...if I can figure out...
  17. blazes

Eyes burning/not focusing properly

I saw a post somewhere about someone having an issue with their eyes burning but for the life of me couldn't remember where I saw it. Anyway, lately, my eyes have been feeling as if I have been looking into the sun too long. It's almost like when you put Visene (or something like it) in a...
  18. blazes

Change in personal "scent"? Meds/diet change or just ME/CFS issues?

Ok, this may seem to be an odd question but have any of you noticed a change in the way you smell? I'm not sure if its because I'm having a problem or not but I was curious. I've noticed in the last 6 weeks or so that my scent is changing. I don't even know how to explain it. I just know...
  19. blazes

Cookbook for ME/CFS patients?

As we all know there are all kinds of specialty cookbooks out there such as for diabetes, heart patients and the like. What I'm wondering is....does anybody know of a cookbook designed specifically for ME/CFS patients? Like a some of the other people on here that I've seen, I can't eat...
  20. blazes

self actualization and CFS/ME

Beautifully put! I have noticed this in myself. Your words have just put it into perspective better. In some ways I am thankful for this disease .... I know it sounds crazy.... Before this disease my life was fast paced, I shopped a lot and was quite a material person. The only thing I...
  21. blazes

Thank you Kurt. I'm glad I was able to get my point across. With the brain fog I sometimes jumble things up, as we all do, and wonder if I'm making any sense which is why it takes me forever to type up a post. I read and re-read about 10 times before I actually post it and still keep my...
  22. blazes

Stone posted on a thread I started in the "Lifestyle" section so I thought I would start this thread in the "Spirituality" section. I see that it has been hinted upon on here so I thought I'd just put it out there. First...Please let me say this. This is a personal choice. If you...
  23. blazes

Well meaning advice...from family...funny...But not!

I read Spitfire's post about not being able to tolerate chatter, being unable to handle others in her life that are unwilling to accept her illness. We've all had that in our lives. We all know what it feels like...well, it basically feels like CRAP! My sister came over the other day...
  24. blazes

Dating...to tell and when

Sunday, We can only help each other. I'm glad my words helped you ... if only a little bit.
  25. blazes

Do you fear agoraphobia?

When I mentioned the "energy" of other people feeling like it was "crashing" into me and overwhelming me, I didn't realize it was like that for others. The funny thing is that a few of my sisters I can hardly stand to be around because they are so chaotic....almost ADD...but not. They are just...
  26. blazes

Do you fear agoraphobia?

Thank you, everybody! Spitfire, you're right. I'm not scared. There is no real *fear* and I do feel like a "gauge" of sorts for other people's moods/energy. Negative energy impacts me more....but anybody with a high energy level can take the wind out of my sails. Sally, I do enjoy going...
  27. blazes

Do you fear agoraphobia?

Mithriel, Thank you for replying. You're right. I don't really believe I'm agoraphobic. It just is something I think about and was wondering if others think about it as well. Was wondering if at some point worrying about the overwhelming sensations, the extreme fatigue and everything else...
  28. blazes

Do you fear agoraphobia?

As we all know, we spend a lot of time in our houses feeling bad. The times that we do go out some of us suffer from (now I'm not going to be able to remember the word -- oh yea!!) sensation overload. I do. People rubbing up against me is the worst. It's like their energy, their *aura* --...
  29. blazes

Dating...to tell and when

I think all of us who are single with ME/CFS have this same problem. I know I do. I'm a 42-year-old single woman. I have to live with my mother! I can't work. My daughter is 19 and on her own. I have made peace with my illness. I try to take things in stride because what good would it do...
  30. blazes

Wired but Tired or that Blasted "red alert" feeling

I have this exact problem I have this Wired but Tired problem a lot... I also suffer from a lot of sensory overload. Grocery stores. Too many people in my house. Right now they are working on my street....Even that with the TV on and my family talking to me is too much. I'm trying to read...