• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. B

Molecular Mimicry, Autoantibodies, HGRVs, and Rituximab

Interesting ideas everyone. Just a question I had since many people here seem to now a lot about these subjects. Would an autoimmune response to a particular human protein in the body be difficult to detect? Could patients with CFS/HGRVs be screened for autoantibodies to the proteins mentioned...
  2. B

Molecular Mimicry, Autoantibodies, HGRVs, and Rituximab

Proteins of the XMRV retrovirus implicated in chronic fatigue syndrome and prostate cancer are homologous to human proteins relevant to both diseases. http://precedings.nature.com/documents/4669/version/1 Anyone remember this paper? If the HGRV present in people with CFS is similar to the...
  3. B

Detection of XMRV in Blood Cells of Sjgren's Syndrome Patients

Very interesting. It would make a lot of sense if xmrv was related to sjogrens. My wife was tested positive for xmrv through VIPdx and has CFS/ Fibro. I have Sjogren's. Both our illnesses have developed in the last five years and we are fairly young (25 years old). Maybe She got it from me or...
  4. B

XMRV abstracts from 15th International Conference on Human Retroviruses

The thread is here because a retroviral infection explains CFS on so many levels: Just look at the first title of the first article "Exacerbated signs of an immunosuppressive AIDS-like disease in macaques infected with multiple retroviruses." Are we really going to assume that enough...
  5. B

GcMAF for XMRV--Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor--anyone taking it?

Nexavir might cause problems if you are allergic to pork. It is produce from pigs and they say if you are allergic to pork you should not take it.
  6. B

Scientists in Prague have developed an extraordinarily potent antiviral MK 612

Here is a pdf that shows the molecular structure of the drug in one of the last slides: MK 612 PDF file It would be wonderful to have a potent anti-herpes virus / anti-cmv drug with fewer side effects.
  7. B

Tenofovir and lactic acidosis

From some of the warnings I have read about Tenofovir, they indicate that Tenofovir can put one at risk for lactic acidosis. There are some warnings about taking the drug if one has already been diagnosed with lactic acidosis. From what I have read in this forum in the threads about the use...
  8. B

Faecal transplant eases symptoms of Parkinson's (and CFS)

Hydrogen sulfide produced by streptococcus and enterococcus bacteria has been implicated by Dr. Kenny De Meirleir as a contributing factor in ME/CFS. This therapy may prove very helpful for people who have problems with these bacteria. My wife is XMRV positive and has an overgrowth of...
  9. B

Proteins of the XMRV retrovirus Christopher Carter

The autoimmunity hypothesis coincides very well with a study run recently that observed that three cfs patients experienced a significant decrease in all symptoms when they underwent chemotherapy. Killing off immune cells that are causing the autoimmunity seemed to at least temporarily help...
  10. B

A question about XMRV and sex

My wife has had fibromyalgia and CFS for about four years now. She developed her symptoms about a year and a half after we met. It has been a while and I had been doing well with my personal health until about a year ago. I was in California on vacation and developed severe cold and flu...
  11. B

Let's talk about CFID's Patients Drug Sensitivities/Intolerances

I'm wondering if using antiretrovirals could excaserbate symptoms initially for most cfs patients because their body begins to actively fight the infection and other coinfections. If most patient have secondary coinfections, the increase in immune system activity could generate a herxheimer...