• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. K

The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media

I've met a couple of people with "CFS": they look like they are wearing a mask to hide how they really are. Nobody wants to know that you're sick; and if they did, then they'd just take advantage of the situation. I have ME, and apparently I act antisocial & scowl. The best stock of how I feel...
  2. K

"The Oxford Definition: It's Baaack”

I did. I asked my medical practitioner for and got (positive) assessment for ME under the ICC.
  3. K

ICD-11 Alpha Draft scheduled to launch in May

I got lost in amongst there. What's the connection with SNOMED? as SNOMED has ME as depricated and CFS as mental or...
  4. K

Researchers just need to start using a different name

Yep, there's a problem deep deep down under that rock: health insurers; military insurers; butt coverers; you name it. What's new? Now a replacement for READ code F286 CFS ( disease of the nervous system) in SNOMED concept code 52702003 CFS mental disorder.
  5. K

Go right the way back to Melvin Ramsay;s case definition: "[Pain:] In severe cases of ME, muscle spasms and twitchings are a prominent feature and give rise to swollen bands of tissue which are acutely tender." "A very thorough examination of the central nervous system should be made"...
  6. K

Lying on the consulting room floor I handed my medical practitioner a note asking to be assessed for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Blank stare. I pointed out to him on the note that it was coded G93.3 in the official international classification of diseases. Blank stare. With slurred and...